Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

quadrajet problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by robert97dodge, Mar 25, 2007.

1. robert97dodge

robert97dodge 1/2 ton status

I finally got to go try out the truck this weekend with the new motor in it. I am running the stock quadrajet carb. The problem I have found is that after it runs for a while the carb starts loading up and gets harded to keep it running. I am constantly having to give it gas to keep it running. I am running a eletric fuel pump too and I have it set at 5PSI. Ya'll think I may be sending to much fuel too it? If I upgrade to a edelbrock what size do I need? It is just a bone stock 350.

2. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Check float and bowl, to make sure it's not binding or has residue or crud in there. Is it flooding out, or stalling for lack of gas?

3. kirkallen143

kirkallen143 Registered Member

4 - 5 psi should be fine for crawling, @ 7 psi for highway.

Check your plugs. Black: too much fuel, Light brown/tan: just right, White/gray speckled: not enough fuel.

Is your choke disengaging when warm?

Like said before, check the float level.

Are you smelling fumes?

Is all you ignition up to par?

Let us know.

Kirk

4. robert97dodge

It wont idle and I have to constantly give it gas to keep it running. This is the first truck that I have even owned with a carb so I dont really know much about them. But the guy riding with me said that it was loading up.

5. robert97dodge

Not smelling fumes. You know the plate that goes in the carb for the choke? THe one that opens and closes for the electric choke. Well we took that off so there is no choke on the carb. As for ignition it has new cap, rotor, MSD wires, and plugs. I do have a MSD ignition that I plan on putting on but I havent done it yet.

6. kirkallen143

kirkallen143 Registered Member

Yes, with no choke it will take a good 5-10 minutes of warm up time before you go anywhere. I have a bronco with a turbo that is carb'd and I had to mill off the choke, so I know how you feel at start-up and letting it warm up for a while. It will "load up" as you say until the engine comes up to operating temps.
    How are your fuel filters? I run a filter before the pump and one after the pump.

Where do you have the electric pump located, hopefully closer to the tank
    the better. The electric pump makes a better pusher of the fuel than a puller for the fuel.

Do you have it on a relay? If it is mounted back by the tank, you will need a relay to keep up with the voltage demands due to the long wire run via voltage drop. And make sure the supply voltage is directly from the battery.

Make for sure that you have a very good ground to the pump, I have seen people chase fuel related problems for months and it only ended up being a bad ground/connection. You can never have too much ground, I run a cable from the neg. side of the battery to the block, from the block to the frame, and from the frame to the body.

You could always go back to a mechnical pump, just to check and see if it is your electric pump.

One last question, the carb is new, yes? Or rebuilt? If not maybe it is time for a rebuild of the carb itself.

Let us know.

Kirk

7. robert97dodge

Carb is the original one that was on the motor we just pullled. I dont know if it has been or not. The fuel pump is mounted right next to the tank but is not on a relay. I didnt wire it up or else it would be on one. It does have a heavy solid wire going to it though. I may go ahead and stick a mechanical fuel pump on since I dont need the electric one now anyways. It is kind of loud and annoying anyways. Also I am gonna go ahead and see about rebuilding the carb too and see if that helps.

8. dmanblazer

dmanblazer 1/2 ton status

Try putting a stock mechanical fuel pump back on it. And trust me an Eldejunk is not an upgrade more like a downgrade.