Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

quadrajet question!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K1Orion, Nov 11, 2003.

1. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

What does the adjustment screw on the pass side do?
    I know the one on the driver side is idle speed, what is the one on the pass side for? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

If it matters, '80 quadrajet with a hot air choke

2. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

If you are talking about the screw near the air flap on the secondaries - that is the tension adjustment for the Secondary Air Flap.

You adjust it by inserting a screwdriver into the slot and hold it, and loosen the allen set screw under it. Adjust the air flap tension by turning that screw. Remember to hold onto it because the screw will turn backward on its own because there is a spring in there.

Tighten this screw to put more tension on the secondaries. Loosen to lessen the tension.

Basically, when I adjusted this on my 12 sec. Firebird - I would loosen it till I noticed the "Quadra Bog", then tighten it up till the bog goes away. Then, I adjust it accordingly to quicken 60 foot times! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

High idle speed is the answer!!!
    How do I adjust this?
    Same as regular idle speed? but set it when engine is cold?

Neil, sounds like you know quadrajets! Thanks for the info.

4. Ben

Ben Registered Member

The BEST way to learn how to adjust the fast idle cam and setting it on the highest step is to remove the carb and play with it. You won't be able to see the fast idle lever as it is behind the choke and linkage. You have to manually turn/twist the accelerator (drivers side) using your right hand while using your left hand to "set" the fast idle cam on the passenger side. Again, it's easier to remove the carb and experiment setting the fast idle. You'll also learn about how the system works. Do yourself a favor and remove it and experiment with it. It's easy although the first time it could be intimidating.