Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quadrajet Questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dmanblazer, Jan 11, 2006.

1. dmanblazer

dmanblazer 1/2 ton status

I just bought a caddy carb for my K5, but I didn't know the throttle linkage was different between the 2 carb types, ( I've never messed with a cadillac before ). I could change out the throttle rod, but I was wondering if anybody has ever made an adapter or ran into this problem before? I don't really feel like tearing into this brand new reman carb if I don't have to! :doah: :dunno:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2006
  2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

How does the cable connect?

On the ones that use a ballstud, some are removable. Not sure what you've got, but if it won't fit, not sure you have much other choice than to change the throttle shaft.

Might check into the 70's carbed cadillacs, if the car nose isn't too long, the throttle cable might work, as long as the firewall clip is the same. Astro's and trucks used the same clip to pedal relationship, leads me to believe that other GM vehicles probably do too.

3. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

You can get different assortments of balls/studs n carb connectors at most decent auto parts stores, or out of summit racing. Or if its a rod with linkage could switch it over to a cable. Lokar makes good stuff. If not use some bailing wire. :haha: :haha: :haha: Ive done it and it works!!! :D

4. dmanblazer

anybody else????????????

5. dmanblazer

Well I changed out my throttle shaft and got it installed and running. Now my problem is there are too many ports on it and I only need 2, vac adv and brake booster and I know where they are but what are all the other ones for just to be curious? The locations are, on the back just above the brake booster port 1/4" fitting with vac present, on front base between right idle mixture screw and PCV port (which I have plugged ) 1/4" fitting no vac present and also on front base just left of the left idle mixture screw 1/8" fitting.
    The numbers on the carb are 17057230 which is for a 1979 425 ci cadillac motor and I've got it on a 350 bored .060 which is a 364 I think, and a summit cam that is
    Hydraulic flat tappet
    Basic Operating RPM Range:2,000-4,500 RPM
    Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift:214Exhaust Duration at 050 inch
    Lift:224Duration at 050 inch Lift:214 int./224 exh.
    Advertised Intake Duration:272
    Advertised Exhaust Duration:282
    Advertised Duration:272 int./282 exh.
    Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:0.442Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:0.465Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio:0.442 int./0.465 exh.
    liftLobe Separation (degrees):112
    Should I have to change jets and rods to get it to run right?

6. dmanblazer

7. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Just plug 'em. If its a smogger carb it could be used for all kinds of things, smog pump, flapper valve n exhaust, air cleaner assembly... I think on every carb Ive owned Ive plugged 1 or 2 ports.