Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

quadrajet??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by smprider112, Aug 22, 2004.

1. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

Ok, so Im ready to ditch my edelbrake carb for a real one!! either gonna use the Pro-jection I have access too, if I can find a wiring harness or fix the one it has! or get a quadrajet, problem is I have been lookin on ebay for em, but there seems to be quite a few different ones out there...so my question is for a 77 w/350 what kind will fit?? or does it not really make a diff?? I plan on buying one and having it rebuilt so the condition isnt too important too me...But I dont know which years are compatible or not?? I see some manual choke, hotair and elect...I assume I use elect since my edelbrock has elect choke /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif anyways all help appreciated!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

You should be able to get about any q-jet and take it to a shop and tell them what engine you have and HP etc and have them build it for you. I just took one off a 350 and put it on my 402BB and it actually works pretty damn good. I had tried two other before this one and they both worked ok, this one has been the best so far. I have about $50 into my q-jet experimentation at this point. They all have been better than the Carter chrome job I had before, but have had float level issues on bumpy up hill terrain with a lot of bouncin around.

Its not rocket science when it comes down to it. I just have done trial and error and figured out how to work on them in the process. Someday when I can afford it I will get an Edelbrock Q-Jet /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. smprider112

what about electric choke an all the other kinds? which one would be ideal? is it hard to hook up the elect choke?

4. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

An electric choke is an electric choke. 2 wires, 1 to a ground, usually the carb itself and the other to a switched power source. Pretty simple. I went from a hot air choke to an electric and had the same questions about going over.

James

5. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Brian, after looking at your set up, I'd go with a 650 cfm q-jet. I personally run an old style mechanical choke. It just a personal preference. Yours is already set up with the elec. choke, so it would be easy for you to stay with that setup. You mentioned you have a couple different adapter plates, so you should be able to bolt one on in a few minutes. Do yourself a favor though. Ditch the filter in the housing and run an external one like I showed you. All it takes is cross threading the filter housing one time and it'll look like sprinkler under your hood /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif Don't ask me how I know /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Pick up a cheap q-jet from a SBC and have it rebuilt for what we do with our junk and you're good to go until you can go with EFI or something like that. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif If you want help, just give me a call. We don't live that far apart /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. smprider112

RIGHT ON /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif Im debating right now tho...cuz I have a Pro-Jection unit available...just needs a new harness which is like 115 bucks...so Im trying to figure which I should do....either way I'll be giving you a call, cuz when it comes to fuel delivery I dunno my a$$ from a hole in the ground.. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif...but ya I just need to figure which route I should go /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif maybe just do the Q-Jet for NOW then run it, see how I like it, and EVENTUALLY do the Pro-jection, since it seems a lil more involved...and then just thro the rebuilt Q-jet into my pickup since it needs a carb overhaul anyways...but I really want my carb probs fixed NOW...gotta get my truck descent so we can all go out again soon!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif
    but I'll give ya a call if ya dont mind coming down and helpin me out when I get ready to do this (Pizza and Beer all around /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif)

7. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

No problem /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Beer and pizza works for me! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif