Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quadrajet

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MrArmyAnt, Nov 9, 2005.

1. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Texas, Kick a$$! (Grapevine, DFW; also Norman, OK)
    How much can one expect to find a used quadrajet? what about one that works but needs a rebuild?

2. ntx78k5

ntx78k5 1/2 ton status

You can buy a remanufactured unit from Autozone for $250. However get the #'s off the side as some have differences based of tranny set up etc. The Parts house will need those #'s. I've never rebuilt one but have been told its a bitch.

When mine caught fire I went Holley Truck Avenger. $369 at Harry's Hot Rod in Grand Prairie. Was almost a bolt and go when I got one that worked.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I haven't bought any in a couple of years, but I wouldn't pay over $5 for one that looked rebuildable. If it was something I really wanted I might pay $10, but that's it.

Rebuild kit is about $20-30 depending on carb, plus some elbow grease.

4. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

Ya I agree $5 to $10 is enough, I have 5 took apart in my basement right now. Trying to build one. Never under estimate the Quadra-Bog. They can be tuned really good. Also they are 750cfm when the right jets and tuning is done.

5. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Rebuilding a Q-Jet is not that hard. I con run through one from start to finish in an hour or so. That is doing a good job of it. In a hurry i have had a maring Q-jet removed, rebiult, replaced, and rough tuned in 30 Min.

Last time i bought a rebiuld kit from Napa it was around $40.

6. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

I bought one on e-bay and paid $53 shipped that is for my year model and engine and came off a running truck. The only ones I could find local the yards still wanted $50-75 for a complete carb and they would still need rebuilding. They would sell me some that were already picked over for about $15 but it was that price for basically just the main pieces not a whole carb. I wound up getting one that looks a little rough on the outside but the internals are CLEAN, with a rebuild kit and some extra jets and rods for tunning I have about $95 total. Much less than buying a rebuild, I know it is in good shape and have some flexibility for tunning. I definately try rebuilding one it isn't that hard. but depending on your local situation buying a good core to rebuild may be a little higher than some of the prices given.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yes, I didn't clarify where I got mine.

All of mine came from the swap meets. Typically wait until the end of the day Saturday, or better yet Sunday, because no one wants to take stuff home. :)

Might end up buying 3 or 4, but for $5/each, that's not bad.

8. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

I would love to have found some for that price but am still happy with paying more for the right model to match my year engine combo. Besides it is a lot easier to shop from home than haul my 2yr old around to try and find a good deal. :D To the origional poster I honestly think that even if you wind up paying $50 for a used core and rebuild it yourself it is worth it. It honestly isn't hard to rebuild and the tunning is more a matter of research and patience than anything else but not rally that hard either. And once you get it going right it feels so good to know that you did it yourself :waytogo: