Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quadrajet

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Seventy4Blazer, Aug 27, 2001.

1. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

Who is it that rebuilds the q-jet in three different stages? stock mild and race...
    i have mine sitting here and i wanted to look into prices,
    Thanks, Grant

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in Yuma Arizona if ya got any parts for me.

2. J.R.

J.R. Guest

jet performance does it, but they are spendy.. there ads are in any car or truck magazine.

BIG BLOCK MAN
    "MORE POWER"!!

3. Seventy4Blazer

thanks
    nice response time
    do they do good work?
    Grant

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in Yuma Arizona if ya got any parts for me.

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Dude your a helicopter mech. You can do it. I wish I had the guts instead I bought an Edlebrock...Q jets are cool[​IMG]

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

5. Seventy4Blazer

i know i can do it, if i knew what all they do. and if any special tools are needed do i have acces to them?
    Grant

6. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I don't think any special tools just a rebuild kit and some new floats or jets ... Someone with more knowledge should be along at any minute to correct me and help you...[​IMG] [​IMG]

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

7. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I just picked up the book Rochester Carburetors By: Doug Roe. I bought it from summit. Haven't read it yet but from what I have heard (from people on this sight and others) it is a good book. Alot cheeper then Jet plus the satisfaction of doing it yourself.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

8. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Seee told ya[​IMG]

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

get the book recommended, and do it. It's really easy, and the book will give you some good reading.

Then you'll start thinking about EFI :)

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

10. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

And if you run into a snag email Grim Reaper he can do a Quad in his sleep.

White Knight

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

About the only real problem with doing a Q-jet yourself is if the throttle shafts are worn...they'll need to be bushed. This has been a problem on every Q-jet I've ever had!

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

12. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I called Jet for a Q-Jet the other day, and they quoted me $375. They do however build the thing exactly to your spec, cam, intake, disp., etc. The other fallback is delivery time - they told me 3 WEEKS!!!

Yikes! My .02!

<font color=red>GOT MUD???</font color=red>
    454/TH400/NP205 - 14BFF/D60/w/ 4.10s
    <a target="_blank" href=http://24.10.209.54/bigolk5.htm>http://24.10.209.54/bigolk5.htm</a> [​IMG]

13. Seventy4Blazer

Dorian, i am already thinking of Fuel injection. just not sure what type. and i am not sure what motor i will be runing in about a year. i want to go BB but if i dont then i will run a 383.
    bills are being paid and i will start again on Chunk. then i will be able to go Wheeling.
    Grant

14. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I already read that book. It's great, except it doesn't show you how to tune the secondary valve tension.

According to the book, the deepest mods you have to do for a performance rebuild are drilling with some really tiny bits in some hard to reach places to enlarge some gas passages. Sounds complicated, but if you're a patient person that can work in small parts and confined spaces, and have the right tools you can do it.

I think the first step would be to buy that book.

Good luck.

<font color=purple>//////
    <a target="_blank" href=http://blazer79.freeyellow.com>blazer79.freeyellow.com</a></font color=purple><font color=black>
    Soon a 454 K5!!</font color=black>
    [​IMG]

15. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

Pick up a copy of the September 2001 issue of Car Craft. They have an article on pages 60 thru 63 showing step by step how Jet Performance rebuilds and tunes the Q-jet carb.

For you Holly owners, pages 44 thru 47 shows how to rebuild a Holly.

'89 K5 Silverado..."You can’t have a real adventure, unless the outcome is truly uncertain".

16. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Loosen and tighten until your content with operation. Trial and error without some serious equipment.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

17. CAROLINAK5

CAROLINAK5 1/2 ton status

CARB STUPID.................i can't get the carb to take gas, but if i pour some down the throat it will fire right up, ofcourse until the gas runs out. does this mean the float is stuck? if so, how do i remedy this. i have ordered the doug roe book, but can't wait that long to go!!!!!!!!

18. Seventy4Blazer

you check the fuel filter?
    Grant

19. Bronco Billy

Bronco Billy Registered Member

One source is the Carb Shop located in Ontaro California. Their web site is www.customcarbs.com.They modify q-jet and holley carbs for a resonable price. Stage 1 $150 for stock engines, stage 2 $175 for modified engines ( cam, intake, headers etc.)These are their latest prices
    I had them do a stage 2 on my q-jet years ago and made a big diffrence in engine performance along with a K&amp;N.
    Check them out !

Life is like a dash board.
    You can't enjoy the ride,
    if your always looking at the warning lights.