Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quadrajet ????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlazerWheels, Mar 20, 2003.

1. BlazerWheels

BlazerWheels 1/2 ton status

i did a search and did not find the answers I was looking for. I have a stock /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif '85 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif. I know the carb was rebuilt in '91 (bought it from my uncle). i am having trouble with the truck (especially in the morning). I have tried letting it warm up for a long time, not at all, and just about everything in between. From a dead stop I get a big hesitation, THEN it kicks in and goes. Plus I notice in the mornings if I make a hard left hand turn the car pretty much DIES then will finally get going again after I straighten out. Should I rebuild the carb? Is this a float level issue? an accelerator pump issue? Help.... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

The turning of the corner part could be a float issue, but don't quote me on that. But your hesitation and hard running first thing sounds like the accelerator pump (at least that was the problem on my quad...was sticking)could also check for vacuum leaks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. khotmer

khotmer 1/2 ton status

i have a qjet that was arebuilt in 98 and was pulled off the truck for a 1406 install nothing is wrong with it. Engine was rebuilt with edlbrock kit (cam, intake, carb, etc). I'm looking to get rid of it for 100.00 plus ride...worked good prior to removal about a year ago.

4. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Does it do it when you get it warmed up espically in the morning the motor is gonna be really cold so after driving for 15min does it still do it(im talking about the hesitation then it goes)

5. BlazerWheels

[ QUOTE ]
    i have a qjet that was arebuilt in 98 and was pulled off the truck for a 1406 install nothing is wrong with it. Engine was rebuilt with edlbrock kit (cam, intake, carb, etc). I'm looking to get rid of it for 100.00 plus ride...worked good prior to removal about a year ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sent you a pm about it.

6. BlazerWheels

[ QUOTE ]
    Does it do it when you get it warmed up espically in the morning the motor is gonna be really cold so after driving for 15min does it still do it(im talking about the hesitation then it goes)

[/ QUOTE ]

My commute is only about 10-15 minutes. No I don't notice it after that length of time. I thought it might just need to be warmed up, but it doesn't get all that cold here. I didn't think it would take that long to warm up. I do still notice it after a compbination of about 5 minutes of driving and 2-3 minutes warm up. It could just be a carb thing. Everything I have owned previous to this has been fuel injection.

7. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Did You go through the entire 17 adjustment procedure on the Quad? Or have You rebuilt it yet? They take time, and understanding to make em work correctly. I've got around 10 of em I've picked for "cheap" just to get Needle's, Jet's, Hanger's, Secondary Needle's, etc. all the goodie's which are getting harder to find all the time. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

8. BlazerWheels

[ QUOTE ]
    Did You go through the entire 17 adjustment procedure on the Quad? Or have You rebuilt it yet? They take time, and understanding to make em work correctly. I've got around 10 of em I've picked for "cheap" just to get Needle's, Jet's, Hanger's, Secondary Needle's, etc. all the goodie's which are getting harder to find all the time. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No I have not rebuilt it YET, I do have the rebuild kit, and I was going to buy the Rochester Book. I am also probably buying one from khotmer on here. What should I pay special attention to when I do rebuild it/them??? Any help is appreciated. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

mine lieks that when its cold but after it warms up i really dont have any problems with it..

10. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

I picked up a Book, Titled Rochester Carburetor's. Not sure of the Author, I'll get His Name, and Book # for You.

This book cover's them all from 1bbl carb's, to "Electric" Q-Jet's. A must have for any Q-Jet user. Everything You need to know is in there, adjustment's, racing, everyday driving, it has it all. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

11. BowtieGuy3

BowtieGuy3 Guest

I'd say rebuild it and hop it up a lil. It does sound like a float and Acc. pump problem. I heard once before from someone that Rochester used a few diff. float types on the Q-Jets, and some of them are just terrible- they get way saturated and end up making everything act stupid. And that book is wonderful! Once you do your first one, you'll wanna go out and do more.

12. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I picked up a Book, Titled Rochester Carburetor's. Not sure of the Author, I'll get His Name, and Book # for You.

This book cover's them all from 1bbl carb's, to "Electric" Q-Jet's. A must have for any Q-Jet user. Everything You need to know is in there, adjustment's, racing, everyday driving, it has it all. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The only book you will ever need: Rochester Carburetors by Doug Roe

13. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

That' the one! Thank's saved Me alot of digging through My {library?] /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

14. BlazerWheels

That's the one I was thinking about getting...thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Everything You'll need is in there! Awesome Book! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif