Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quadrajunk question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by monte0172, Jan 15, 2004.

1. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

Hey guys and gals how was everyones holidays??? Well I guess its back to the old blazer we go to finish up last years projects. I have a question about my carb. I noticed that the shaft for the primarys on the baseplate are severely wore out. Now my question is Is there a bushing kit for these or will a baseplate from an older style quadrajet work? I have the original then I have four others quadrajets that are from the late sixties early seventies era with a different style choke. I will include pictures if needed. Thanks for any help.

2. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Any good carb shop should be able to repair it or replace the whole plate.
    Bill

3. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Worn primary bushings are a pretty common problem with the Quadraslobs. It introduces a vacuum leak in the worst possible place, right under the venturi. That's where alot of idle and drivability problems come from.

You can go pickup some bushings and replace them yourself but it CAN be a real pain in the butt. Most carb shops will get $30 - $40 to do it for you. It's worth it.

As for your spares, one of them should work OK but you need to check the shaft bushing on those too.

Have fun.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys. I thought about taking it to a carb shop but i was looking for a cheap fix and i have 4 of the older style q-jets and the one i was comparing has a really good baseplate with the easy access mixture screws. Well guess i wont know till its apart and i can really compare huh. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Pretty hard to know if they are compatible until you pull them both apart and compare. Every model it seems used a slightly different part or passage in one location or another.

FWIW you can buy those bushings for about $5/pr, and the drill bit is a "J" IIRC, which is typically a special order, and is around $10-20.

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

gimme casting codes off the baseplat assembly and i might have a good tight oen for you for cheap, i have all kinds of carbs and parts here roch and carter Q jets, early 70s and up

i dont know qhy ppl call these carbs such names, they have a lot of miles on them now and they have every right ot be worn out by now, id liek to see an edelscrap or holley last as long as Q jet do/have, normally

7. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

well this one has 298000 miles on it so its well due to have some wear and tear. Im a holley person myself but i agree a holley would never run that long. I like quadrajets its just not my favorite. but for this truck being stock an i would like to keep it that way as much as possible im going to stay with the quadrajet. besides theres alot less to modify that way. Ill get the #s tonight and send you a pm. thanks,

8. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

ok here are the casting #'s
    0539 CHC
    Hope this helps.