Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quadrasteer - Ride & Drive 1st impressions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Twiz, Jun 25, 2002.

1. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

WOW!!!

Man, can that thing cut a turn! It can make a full U-turn on a 2-lane road, no-problem. Turn the RWS off and make the same turn again, the truck ends up 90 degrees to the curb.
    Big difference!

Parking lot maneuvers, the AWS really comes though, you know it's working. It's not overly sensetive, but it is a bit quick, quicker than what I'm used too. It takes some adjusting too, normaly a guy has to pull the front end out a-bit, then turn. Not with this thing. Pretty much, point and shoot.

A quick run down the freeway, I didn't notice much rear-steer at-all, but I only made 2 lane changes in trafic.
    Really not enough seat time to get the feel of it.

Over-all, it really makes the truck far more friendlier to drive. Just point and shoot, all-most no driver compensation needed. It's supposed to really shine when towing, and I can see why.

Specs and Stuff:

- Solid axle rear suspension, 9.75 ring gear, Full-floater, C/V steering joints. It looks like it's a "14-bolt" semi-floater houseing, but I'm not sure.
    - Electric motor driven tie-rods to the steering knuckles, with a "feed-back" system and sensors to determin "requested" steering and "actual" steering. Modual has diagnostics and can store DTCs
    - The motor and rack are part of the bum-cover.
    - Rear wheel steering can be up to a maximum of 12 degrees

Three driver selectable Modes from a single button, that steps up to the next mode each time it is depressed.
    - 2-Wheel Steering Mode. Front steering only, RWS is disabled
    - 4-Wheel Steering Normal Mode. Povides 3 phases of RWS.
    - 4 Wheel Steering Tow Mode. Provides more positive (same direction) steering than in 4WS Normal Mode

Negative phase- Rear wheels steer in the opposite direction of the fronts.
    Neutral phase- No rear steering (cross-over point is aprox 40 mph in "Normal-Mode" and aprox 25 mph in "Tow Mode".
    Positive phase- Rear wheels steer in the same direction as the fronts.

I love my job! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

2. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I heard the rear axle is a Dana 60. That would make sense with the 9.75 inch gear. I'm curious what happens if the system fails? Like an electrical problem or something? Looks cool though.

3. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

It kinda looked like a Dana 60 to me.

4. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What would you say (in your professional /forums/images/icons/grin.gif opinion) is the structural integrity of the rear steering system? I know it was designed for towing and manuevering, but what about the occasional off-road jaunt and in 15-20 years when it becomes somebodies off-road toy?

5. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

What do you think about th epossibility of someone, in several years, taking off the rear axle, throwing away the electric crap, and using it for a front axle?
    -- Mike

6. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    you'd have to do some major mods to it, he said that the wheels only can turn 12 degrees in the rear.

7. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

It probably has knuckles, just like a front, and maybe it just has bumpostop like a 644 or so. Or maybe the aftermarket could make knuckles to use it as a front....cheaper than a d60.
    Just thinking.
    -- Mike

8. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

yet to drive one, but had a long discussion about it in a grad class in vehicle dynamics...pretty advanced system, works very well from what i hear....but as far as reliability...well we wont know until 10 years down the road what breaks and what doesnt...

9. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

From SI200 (service manual):

- "If a system malfuntion occurs, the rear wheels are moved back to center via an internal spring."
    - "The axle assemble is a heavier duty version of the standered rear axle on a non-rear steer truck" (That would lead me to think its a Corprate Axle -maybe-)
    - "The carrier is a 9.74 inch ring gear and pinion with a 4:10 gear ratio" (The only ratio avalible with RWS)

This morning, I cleaned off the floor with the back of my shirt and took a closer look at the axle houseing.
    It's an odd bird for sure, I've never seen an axle houseing that looks anything like it. No Dana "diamond" cast in and the houseing doesn't look like anyother houseing I've seen, but it does have a drain-plug like the current Corprate houseings do. As stated above, the steering gear and rack are part of the bum-cover making it un-identafiable, the steering gear also covers up part of the cover bolts, so there is no counting bolt heads.
    I think this thing is completely new.

I "heard" over the net (and you know how that can be) that Dana is makeing the axle houseing for G.M..
    I think thats as far as it goes tho', unless the carrier is a Dana 60 unit.

You can spot one on the road easily by the bed-sides, the Quadrasteer trucks have "dualy" like bulges over the rear tires - and looks pretty dang cool if you ask me. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

10. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

It's a Trailoring package, and it's obvious.

The steering gear/motor hangs pretty low and are pushed out-away from the houseing, not ideal for wheeling. Allthough the gear is heavily protected with 1/4 inch skid-plates, that cover the gear front and back, so I wouldn't worry about that hitting.
    On the other hand, the tie-rods hang a below axle tube, but above the lower shock mount, I could see those getting snagged on the trail.

I think it would be O.K. for mild trail rideing, but nothing extreme.

11. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I seem to recall reading somewhere that these guys are making most of the axles for GM these days: http://www.aam.com/