Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quality of some "OEM Replacement Parts" for 1st Gens....

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Greg72, Apr 12, 2002.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Quality of some \"OEM Replacement Parts\" for 1st Gens....

I just got an order for a bunch of parts from LMC, and I was just curious if anyone else has been disappointed with the apparent quality or faithfulness of some of these reproduction items?

Case in point. I spent $80 for a new dash bezel and it clearly doesn't have the same "texture" on the black surfaces as the original.....and the chrome gauge rings have lots of "flash" and pits in them. For some reason I guess I was hoping that is would look BETTER and more ORIGINAL for 80 bucks.

I've heard that maybe GMCPauls has better quality stuff (truer to original) but I'm wondering if they are actually getting their stuff from the same TAIWAN manufacturer....!!!!!

I haven't decided if I'm going to keep the bezel or return it and try a different vendor. If someone got a new bezel recently and was actually HAPPY with the quality of it, please let me know where it came from......!!!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

2. SilverJim

SilverJim 1/2 ton status

Re: Quality of some \"OEM Replacement Parts\" for 1st Gens....

Some of LMC's stuff is good; other stuff is complete crap. I just ordered, among other things, some of the headlight retaining clips with the screws. The plastic clips don't even fit into the square holes on the radiator support. In fact, they don't even come close to fitting. The firewall wiring gutter is pretty crappy too. Early Classic out in CA has only sold me high quality stuff, but it is certainly more expensive.

3. Re: Quality of some \"OEM Replacement Parts\" for 1st Gens....

I've ordered some from GMCPaul and have heard nothing but compliments about his service and quality. Its reassuring when you get to talk to someone who actually knows about 67-72's. He owns a bunch of them, maybe 6 or 7 67 GMC's so you know he is dedicated. You could give him a call to discuss the bezels he sells to see what he thinks of their quality. He will give you an honest answer.

4. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

5. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

Ditto comments on Paul - he works at it. I ordered a GM grille for my 67 Corvette - the old one is ok but has a couple of pits. The quality of the GM grille was absolutely unacceptable - found a true "NOS" one which was great. Point is, even GM is having parts made (outsourced) from GM old molds or is having them made overseas.I would take up the issue with LMC - I assume they will make it good.
    Good luck
    JB

6. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

Seeing a side marker post reminded me of another thing - try GM first - I didn't want the "Far East" side markers - GM still has the deluxe side markers front and rear! Look great, ditto with mirrors, door regulators, etc...
    JB

7. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark

I ordered the brackets for my 4 core radiator, bolts, and some brackets that hold the inner fender to the radiator core support. Went to put the supports on and there is no way to mount them on either the core support or the inner fenders. These go toward the bottom of the core support on each side. Anybody with a 1st gen have these. There have never been any on mine.

8. SnowNuts

SnowNuts Registered Member

if you spend as much time on Ebay as I do you would see that honest guys are selling the original part that they complained about after L.M.C. sent em the bettter second part. L.M.C. doesn't seem to want the bad parts back due to shipping & you get two. Good Luck....You deserve a quality part. Don't settle for less.

9. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I've always used golden state pick-up parts (granted its been a while) They not only always helped with the questions I had, but were not "put out" by it. They also are a licenesed GM reproduction company, last I heard they secured the original presses that GM used to make the inner fender wells on our trucks. Supposivly they have lots of other "mothballed" GM factory machines. I'll try to get some contact info. for you, if someone dosn't beat me to it.

10. MuddyMudSkipper

MuddyMudSkipper Registered Member

I usually use GMC Pauls, Paul is a great guy. They have good prices and the best customer service you will find. I recently bought a batch of patch panels from him and they were all made in Taiwan. There is a reason the repop's are much less expensive than original GM repro's- they use different molds and the panels don't fit too well. I spent quite a bit of time massaging my lower A-pillar panel today to get it to fit. I just couldn't afford the good stuff. Anyway, I will continue to use GMC Pauls because he is a great guy and very knowlegable about our blazers.
    Jeff

11. darrel

darrel Registered Member

I feel your pain. Just ordered a few parts for my 71 from Classic Industries and I was really disappointed with some. The repo center console is complete crap. Flimsy plastic with hardware rivets holding the hinge. The repo inner grill is not even close to "Exact reproduction" like advertised. Inner fender wells from Taiwan is about half as thick as my GM originals and were delivered with scratches and minor rust. Sending them all back for a full refund. From now on I'm going to buy parts from people who own these trucks.

12. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I have used www.brotherstrucks.com
    I have never used LMC so don't really have anything to compare thier stuff with the stuff I got but I have been happy with the two I mentioned.
    I'm sure if you call around some of thease places and ask for the 'source' were the part comes from or is made then from there whoever helps you the most is were your money should be spent, well as long as the stuff your getting is good too/forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    .02c

13. Johnny Buck

Johnny Buck Newbie

I recently bought a reproduction guage bezel for my 72 Jimmy with the woodgrain and chrome finish from Chevy Duty. After sending me the wrong one, they quickly had the "correct" one on the way to me. I was impressed with their service, but the bezel is not nearly as good quality as I expected. The woodgrain was put on crooked, and only got worse when I tried to mess with it. After all the trouble, I ended up keeping it, as it was much better than my old one, but I'm not totally happy with it. But, I have been happy with all of the other parts I have ordered from Chevy Duty.