Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quantitiy discount (~15%) for SOFT TOPS!

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TopOff, Feb 27, 2002.

1. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Spring is almost here. Looking to order my soft top from http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/softtops.htm
    ~5 people from the 73-89 forum is interested.
    Who else wants one?

I would like to order these next week (depending demand). Shipping will still be ~$40.00 depending on where you live.

I was thinking of having everyone send me paypal payment. Then I can put these all on one visa card. I spoke to ORD he said if we get ~10 people we should be able to get 15% off.

If you have a better idea for payments... PLEASE let me know!

Nick

<font color=red>Roads, where we're going we don't need...roads. </font color=red>- Doc.
    '73 Blazer, 383 - 3/4 ton, ARB F&amp;R, 35"<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by TopOff on 02/27/02 12:57 PM.</FONT></P>

2. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

I am interested in a Fastrac for my 71 Jimmy. Do the ORD prices apply to colors other than black? Are these prices, with discount, bargains compared to the market? I bought a snap type top about 18 months ago from Camelot for about $375...
    JB

3. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

ORD website prices are for regular retail listings. We will be able to get 10-15% off of this.

I understand from ORD they can only get black or white.

I have not been able to find anyone else who will make a softtop for the full convertible blazers.

Who, what and where is Camelot? Phone #? URL?

I am interested in the best top for the the best $.

Please LMK!
    Nick

<font color=red>Roads, where we're going we don't need...roads. </font color=red>- Doc.
    '73 Blazer, 383 - 3/4 ton, ARB F&R, 35"

4. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

I think Camelot went the way of the internet boom. They were a Yahoo store...
    JB

5. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

bummer... [​IMG]

6. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

sent an email to specialty tops concerning the fasttrac and guess they don't want me to buy one, I just wanted to build a full cage to accomidate there top and this is the response I got

I am looking to get some information on the clearances needed for the bows on the fasttrac top. I am in the proces of designing a full cage and would like the availability of getting one of your tops when the time comes but my cage has to accomodate it as well. I need the radius and clearances needed for the top hieght and rear. If you have this available in a cad file that I can open or import into autocad that would be appreciated

thanks

Les Key

Dear Les,

We do not have the dimensions on a cad file, I am sorry. If the roll cage will fit inside a hard top, it will fit inside the soft top. However, there will be no way that you can fold the top down with a full cage. The portion behind the roll bar will interfere with the bows when you try to fold the top down, due to the position of the bows and the length of the vehicle. You can download the installation instructions from our web site @ http://www.specialtytopco.com. The part number for the fasttrac top is: 551-310. Go to the left index, scroll down to the instruction sheet button, click on that, go to the right index and find the part number and click on that. The instruction sheet should come up. It is in pdf format and you should be able to download it if you have adobe acrobat reader on your computer, as most of them do these days. If you do not have the program, it is available free on the adobe site.

Thank you for your interest, and I hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Blake T. Robinson
    Secretary/Treasurer
    Specialty Top Co.

Like em big and topless
    You call THAT...a 4x4....LMAO?

7. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

LKJR,

It sounds like Blake is referring to a "FULL" cage which covers the rear passenger seat. Is this what you are talking about?
    I think of a FULL cage as a six point that does NOT cover the rear passengers. I would consider a cage that covers the rear passengers a full "safari" cage.

I understand what Blake means by a full safari style cage not working because of the fold down that is incorporated in their tops.

Nick

8. blazingjesse

blazingjesse 1/2 ton status

so how many people do you have now, that are in this?
    If i send the money and you don't get enough people, will i still get the discount?

9. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Well so far I have seven (7) people. I am pretty sure we can get 10%. If I can get 2 or 3 more we can 15%. I am going to (gulp) ask my Jeep friends if they are interested in getting new tops.

As with anything, I think 2 or 3 will drop out... so I would really like to get atleast another 2 or 3 people committed!

To answer your question:
    I will not have anyone send money until I get SOLID commitments from those who want to buy. When I get SOLID commitments, I will go to either ORD or TOYBOX (I was told TOYBOX might give us a better deal), and get a commitment from them. Then I will come back to everyone, and request ship to address, and payment info (prefer paypal). Just like EBAY I request payment be made BEFORE product ships. I understand it takes three weeks to get the tops. I will get/give information as I get it to each person.

(this is starting to turn into more work than it's worth... [​IMG] )

Nick

'73 Blazer, 383 - 3/4 ton, ARB F&amp;R, 35"<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by TopOff on 02/28/02 10:53 AM.</FONT></P>

10. blazingjesse

blazingjesse 1/2 ton status

OK!!! Count me in, I'd like one Fasttrack.

11. ccchauser70k5

ccchauser70k5 Registered Member

The fast-trac top does not fit with the full cage. The front and middle bows are to short to go over the top of the cage. If you try to extend the length you will not be able to secure the bottom of the soft top to the rails.

1970 k5

12. ChrisM72beast

ChrisM72beast 1/2 ton status

I think that depends on what your dimensions are for your cage. On mine the fast-trac fits nicely on the sides. I've got a 6 point roll cage with padding and I have no problems. Here is the link to see the top on. http://www.geocities.com/chrism72beast/beastpage.html

13. skyblazer

skyblazer 1/2 ton status

I'm very interested, but I think I want the charcoal #13 color. I'm waiting for some color samples right now. I see ORD only lists black and white. Would Toybox carry all the available colors? Both ORD and Specialty Top list $599 for the 69 - 72 Fasttrack top. Do you know what kind of a deal Toybox has? What is their web address?

<font color=blue>As my truck gets higher my balance gets lower!<font color=blue>[​IMG] <font color=red><a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albuo72>PICS</a></font color=red>

14. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I have not been able to get a hold of Toybox. I called and left a message and emailed them.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.toyboxoffroad.com>www.toyboxoffroad.com</a>

15. Supergas

Supergas 1/2 ton status

I am interested, but I would like to explore getting something better than the Fasttrac. Why don't we contact Bestop or one of the other top manufacturers that are used on the project vehicles &amp; see if they would be interested in building one for us First Gen guys.
    My main problem with the Superior/KayLine is that the top material is vinyl which is terrible for a soft top. I would like one made from a canvas or Sunbrella material (like on my Vette) that will hold up in the hot Texas sun..

Comments???? Suggestions??? Why not get the Forum involved with group purchases?? To help us get better pricing &amp; products....

71 GMC Jimmy, 2" Tuff Country; 350 TBI; 700R4

16. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Supergas,

Which forum should this be posted towards? I thought this was it? No?

I would LOVE to find a canvas top in the Fastrac style.
    The only reason I am looking at the fasttrac and not the others i because I do not want the snaps all along my body's sides. I still beat the body, but I also don't want the snaps. What can I say.

I am all for finding a better top. I just thought the Specialty Tops were the ones. Kayline went bankrupt, and Specialty Top bought the tooling to make the tops that are now available for the Early full convertible Blazers (69-75).

LMK how I should proceed...

TO

17. ccchauser70k5

ccchauser70k5 Registered Member

Your cage only covers the driver. If you have the full cage the top doesn't fit so easly.

1970 k5

18. Supergas

Supergas 1/2 ton status

What I meant is that the vendors actually do a group purchase deal through our Forum &amp; if they get enough response, the deal is on. This is instead of us having to deal with it. Check out the www.corvetteforum.com page &amp; you will see what I mean. The vendors should be doing this if they want our business!! The vendor will announce a group purchase price / discount if X number of people sign up for it &amp; then they process the money &amp; do the shipping....

I will buy one of the tops from ORD with the 15% discount if you can get enough people together. I don't really care how you do it, but we could just send our credit cards to ORD &amp; let them take care of the billing or each person &amp; then ship the tops directly to each person. This would be a lot easier &amp; cheaper than all of them coming to you &amp; you having to collect the money &amp; then reship everything. I would be willing to do that.

I will probably have a canvas replacement made next winter if I end up with this one for now. Maybe I can get us a decent deal for canvas replacements in different colors.

LMK

19. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Ironically enough ORD does NOT want to take individual cards. The reasoning is this negates the time consuming task of taking multiple orders and credit card information.

I recieved an email from Toybox, and they seem VERY interested in helping us on this. I will pursue this type of payment.

TO

20. Supergas

Supergas 1/2 ton status

Then to hell with them... If someone dosen't want my business, I will find someone who does. Anyone who says they support"OUR" forum but will not take a sale of 10 to 15 items of $500 each in one group is not very astute in the world of business as far as I am concerned. What this tells me is that ORD does not manufacture or stock very much, but is merely an order center. They were out of stock on several items I ordered from them recently as well.

Let's pursue the Toybox &amp; also Superior Tops direct.

Leverage makes things go up &amp; down!!!!!!!!!!!!