Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quarter eliptical rear suspensions?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Aug 31, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Anyone ever seen a K5 with this setup? Wondering what the highs and lows are. Seeing as the ones I ahve seen were the 2 springs and 2 link bars I would think it is pretty good for traction with the links acting as traction bars.

2. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

Most of the set ups I have seen have used a 3 or 4 link set up and a shackle on the springs. If you used the springs as a link, I would think you would still have some spring wrap due to the pinon wanting to climb during acceleratrion. I could be wrong. I think you would have to solid mount the spring eye to the axle, too. Trying to envision the potential forces.

There have been some pics posted here of 1/4 ellip set ups. Also there is a shortened k20/30 on the Tanner site. Look in the member discount section for their link. I will see what other pics I can dig up. I am considering a 1/4 ellip for my project. Currently leaning twards a 4 link XX set up to eliminate the need for a panhard bar.

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

full size with quarter eliptic

This just discussed. Try this link. Quarter eliptic with 44's and lots of pics. Gross flex....

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

thanks, I am thinking it may be an option on my daily driven k5. I don't know I just want to be different but not if it were to mean sacrificing driveability or flex.

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

x

x

6. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I know you can't really see it too well, but thats the kind of flex you get off that eliptical, i buddy of mine built this on a RC.
    [​IMG]

7. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Don't waste your time with the 1/4 eliptical. You will be a lot happier using coil's or coilovers's, plus there is less fab work with the coil's and the road manner's of a coil setup is 1,000 times better. Honestly, just get yourself a custom set of leaf springs made that are longer than stock, with a soft spring rate and you will have more than enough flex. The way my springs are setup now I can easily score over a thousand forward and backward on a 25 degree ramp.

If you are set on changing the rear suspension to a linked setup, use coilover's and the |V| configuration like MJ said, you will get a lot less binding out of the link's if they are setup correctly.

These pictures are from when I had 4" Tuff Country ezrides up front and just a shackle flip in the rear.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I have been considering going coil outback for a long time. Kept coming back to the idea of front coils off a Dodge Diesel. Need to find out how much the back of a K5 weighs. I will put mine on the scales when I'm working on it and figure it out.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

is the front 1/4 elip txsize?? the rear obviouslly isn't.

10. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

11. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

doesnt look like 1/4 elliptical to me...in fact it isnt 1/4 elliptic...its a regular leaf spring with a long rear shackle from the looks of it

Later

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

definetally isn't 1/4 elip. unless he did what I've seen some Toy boys do. You make a quarter elip and mount your rear shackle to it. That way you get more droop out of the shackles.

13. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Maybe it's a regular leaf with a "goofy shackle".....you know, one of those extra leaves that is compressed up against the frame that allows the axle to "fall away" more....

I think I've also heard it called a "Buggy spring"? Almost looks like a football shape when viewed from the side (postively arched spring on the bottom, negatively arched upper spring)..... if that makes any sense...? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah thats exactly waht I mean and what it probably is.

15. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

yep thats the buggy setup...

quite possibly what it is...ill have to look again

Later

16. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

its just in the rear though...they used a leaf cut down to about a quarter of its size and mounted it upside down from the frame...not a bad idea...

dont really know what you would call it, half buggy spring maybe?

Later

17. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

x

x

18. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

3/4 eliptical sounds about right to me

19. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/suspension/buggyleaf/index.html pirate calls it 3/4 eliptical too. Hmmmmmmm I have an extra lift spring sitting around. Maybe the k5 has a 3/4 eliptical in its future. will double as a shackle flip, hmm only problem is getting the spring outside of the framerail. and having whatever it mounts to being strong enough to support the k5 through jumps and such.

20. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

x

x