Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quarter Elliptical Front suspension?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Eagle, Jun 13, 2001.

1. Eagle

Eagle Registered Member

I have found a place that will install a custom quarter elliptical suspension on my 79K5 front end. Is this good? Has anyone done this or researched this? This is a pretty basic job. All they are doing is replacing my leaf springs and adding the new suspension. I will have to install torsion bars and such my self.

There is a VERY fine line between hobby and mental illness

2. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I'm confused why you would need torsion bars with new 1/4 eliptic leaves.....seems like this would be better on the rear, but I'm no expert.....anyone else?

Michael[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm>http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm</A>

3. Eagle

Eagle Registered Member

I'm sorry. My bad. I didn't mean torsion bars. I am not sure what they are called. Those supporting bars to keep the rear from slipping out of position. My rear axle will be getting the revolver and a new spring pack.

4. Ryeguy

Ryeguy 1/2 ton status

I think you're talking about control arms (radius arms in the F*rd world) and track bar (panhard in the F*rd world). I've always been a bit leery about 1/4-'liptical up-front, though if done right I guess it'd be okay. I'm concerned about on-road safety the most. Plus, we've built 3 custom front coil suspension trucks up here, and it's hard to get rid of all the death shake. The 1/4-liptical will exhibit the same thing. If you're out for monster gobs of travel, then that or coil or 3/4-'liptical is the way to go, but I'd first go for those monster gobs of travel on the rear suspension since you don't have steering to worry about.

--Rob

5. Eagle

Eagle Registered Member

Thank you. Track bar is what I was trying to say. You are right about the steering. I did not think about that. I am not that concerned with it. Right now I only use it as a trail truck anyway. I figured why not go off the deep end and turn it into one heck of a trail truck. Unfortunately I do not have enough money to convert all 4 corners to elliptical suspension. Since the revolver is not recommended for the front suspension I have decided to install the quarter (or ¾) elliptical up front. Then in the future go all four corners.