Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quarterpanel swap?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by GaBnn3, Aug 19, 2005.

1. GaBnn3

GaBnn3 Registered Member

I picked up a rust free quarter panel for my '88 Suburban from a local salvage yard, and am wondering if I should dare try it myself. I'm not a body man or mechanic, though I've done my own mechanical repairs recently. What are the steps, and would I be wiser to take it to a body shop?

2. sledheadak

sledheadak 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

since it is a used panel best to take it to a shop and have them cut and install it.lots more work involved with a used panel than a brand new panel.

3. akbound

akbound 1/2 ton status

Last week I replaced the front quarter panel on my 76 with one from an 80 from the junkyard. Some of the bolts were a little tough to get at and I had to cut an access for one bolt that had a clip spinning. Nothing too tough. The hardest part was the trial and error of getting the right # of shims in so the panel lined up and the door would open. I was working alone, but it would be much easier with some help.

Good luck!!

4. basketcase

basketcase Registered Member

if you've never done any body work, i would get a shop to do it. lots of cutting and welding, easy to warp the panel with too much heat. guess it depends how perfect the truck needs to be too.