Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ques. on 89-91 blazers. I am going to buy one!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rjfguitar, Jul 10, 2004.

1. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I am looking at an 89' and I am curious about a few options.

1. did the 89' have the power mirror option?

2. What amp alt. do they come with? I know that somewhere between the 89-91's that they went to 100 ampers.

3. What codes go with what gear ratio? I am pretty sure GT4 is 3.73 but I'm not positive and I do NOT want one with anything higher.

4. Any significant changes between an 1989, 1990, 1991? far as I know the 3 years are about the same.

5. ANything I need to know to stay away from with those 3 years besides the usuall cracked frame at the gear box, hard rolling up rear window, govlok...basically the same stuff that effects all the years.

I'm so excited about having 2 blazers....now I can afford to have my green one down to 4 link it! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

Here is 2 pics of the K5 I'm looking at, there is a dent on the passenger side that bothers me not to mention there are no power mirrors. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Hmm let me see if I can help ya a bit...

I believe the power mirror deal started in 90
    Rear ABS started in 90
    Rear seatbelts bolted to top instead of floor in 90
    Alternator is 100 amp
    Course they're full serpentine
    GT4 is 3.73, GU6 is 3.42 (pretty common, I have it)

If theres anything else you wanna know let me know....

3. rjfguitar

Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Who here has the e-mirror option? I have never seen it. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

I gotz em in my 91. Ive only seen like a couple others with it.

[​IMG]
    I havent heard anything bad about 89-91 k5s. The only problem i have with mine is rust and lots of it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Somehow my car made it from canada to Texas. I guess the salt on the road in canada was the problem. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

Sorry to double post but i just looked thru 2 dogs pics and is that winch bumper u have 4x4iron? If not where did u get it?

7. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Sorry to double post but i just looked thru 2 dogs pics and is that winch bumper u have 4x4iron? If not where did u get it?

[/ QUOTE ]
    No hyjacking please! /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

dont buy that thing man......i would wait and hold tight. The right deal will come along. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

1989 was the first year for NP241 and also the only year of mechanical speedo then starting in 1990 GM went with electric speedo.

10. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

PM'd k5freak out of fear of hi-jacking /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    1989 was the first year for NP241 and also the only year of mechanical speedo then starting in 1990 GM went with electric speedo.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I forgot about that. I swapped in an'89 241 into my '85. Was there a lot of problems with the VSS?

12. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Although most of it's been covered, here is a link to the spec's page showing the changes through the years.
    Spec's
    89- also got the 30 sline vs. 28, as well as new base & clear coats.

13. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I know K5Freak44 posted a pic but here is another of my 91 with e-mirrors.

[​IMG]

14. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    Although most of it's been covered, here is a link to the spec's page showing the changes through the years.
    Spec's
    89- also got the 30 sline vs. 28, as well as new base & clear coats.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I've read that page probably 20 times in the last few years, I'm looking for more details. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I personally think the electric mirrors are ugly as hell. I work with a guy that has a 91 with those mirrors and they really don't fit this bodystyle well at all.

I think if you look at a rig with electric mirrors, ditching them will be the first idea in your mind.

16. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    I personally think the electric mirrors are ugly as hell. I work with a guy that has a 91 with those mirrors and they really don't fit this bodystyle well at all.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I love the power mirrors!....and yes I have seen them up close. I get excited everytime I see a blaze/burb drive by with the power mirrors. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    I think if you look at a rig with electric mirrors, ditching them will be the first idea in your mind.

[/ QUOTE ] First time I saw them on a K5 I wanted to put them on my 85K5. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

17. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

good luck bobby,i liked that one with 55k mi on it,ill bet 4k cash would do the trick. Personally, im getting tired of my 85 /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif i might trade all my brand new in the crate hi pinion axle and my truck for a sweet 69 /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

18. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

oh yeah great, more smog issues again. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif more fun with confusing vacum lines as far as the eye can see /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif more 700r4 breakage, i just want one belt to power everything ,no smog, no crap /forums/images/graemlins/peace.giflike on a 69 /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif [​IMG] Havent you learned yet?????????? /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I want to buy this one and call it the big bannana /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

19. rjfguitar

A stock late model K5 that hasn't been tinkered with should pass smog without a prob. Duh! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif The FI motors have just as few vacuum lines as an early K5. You don't relize Jake, our 85's and the 86's were the absolute worst years for smog accessories...it was totally cleaned up in 87.
    89-91's have only one belt too...it's called serpintine and that also means no squeeky squeeky. Give it up Jake, I am not even considering a first gen.

th700R4 breakage? Shame on you Jake...you have the same exact built to the gills 700 as me. /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif Besides the later model th700's are a lot better than our original 85's.

You're not seeing the whole picture.

20. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

[​IMG] WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK????????