Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Quest for Flex, F150 Rear spring ??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wayne, Jan 5, 2002.

1. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I am thinking of swapping in F150 springs. I need to know if these specs on them is correct and if you think this swap will work. The springs are 57" long and the center pin is 1" more back from the front then a K5 spring. Is this correct and if so what year trucks should I look under for the springs? My plan is to use F150 springs for the 5" of extra length and the pin location will move the axle back to where I want it. Has anybody tried the F150 springs without the springer set up? I figure since I have a set of brackets for doing the flip I could just mount them back farther on the frame and use the longer springs. Also I think the F150 springs will ride and flex better then 3/4 ton 56" GM springs.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

If your going to use the flip anyway, I would just leave the brackets at the stock location. The 1" longer spring will give you a better shackle angle anyway. Here is all the info you need on the Ford springs (posted by Marv).

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=blazer4x4&amp;Number=271673&amp;part=1>http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=blazer4x4&amp;Number=271673&amp;part=1</a>

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

3. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

The stock location is for 52" springs so I don't think it will work with 57".

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.

4. BadDog

Oops! [​IMG] I should have said "use the stock 56" location. Aren't Blazer frames already drilled for 56"? Oh, and the Ford hole is 1" too far forward.

Russ

5. BadDog

BTW, if I had 52" perches already, I personally would go with Marv's setup instead of a straight flip. I got a chance to see it recently and that thing is SWEET. Unfortuately I have 56" springs so I would need to move my perches forward to use it. I'm still considering it, although right now, for the first step, I want to trade my 1 ton packs for 57" F150 springs with a home made flip and better shackle angle. I'll play it by ear from there. Good luck.

Russ

6. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Also if I read the post correctly I would have to redrill and move the spring pin back. Not a problem doing that, I am just looking for more flex and a better ride.

7. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I was thinking about doing the springer set up but for the moment I just want the longer springs and put the rest of the money into other mods. I want to start getting parts togeather over the next 3 months and when the weather warms up I will take a couple days vacation to do the mods.

8. NoRulz

NoRulz 1/2 ton status

hahaha... I love this...
    You GM guys are after F-150 springs, &amp; I worship my 63" GM leafs...
    The irony..

My Ford has chevy parts! it's all good!

9. BadDog

LMAO, yes, I love irony! 63 is just too much for me though. I want to eliminate all the rear over-hang that I can. 56/57 is already limiting my ability to cut. I'm thinking that, instead of drilling the hole 1" further back, I'll drill it 2", maybe 2.5" further back. Then, 44s should come back almost to the back of the springs (not quite but almost) for a (roughly) 85 degree departure angle.

Russ

10. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Yeah, with the '63s, the rear spring hanger gets moved back, alot, and with a K-5 lowered too. If it is a tension-style hanger, like-in-my-case, the hanger is even with the gas tank as it starts to turn-up (Does that make sence?). Basicly, the stock hangers are even with the tank and move back (making the hangers wider-ish, get-it?).
    Ive been thinking about that rear hanger since day-one. Still don't have a resonble solustion. I think I might modifie a ORD shackle flip as needed to fit. But than, the shackle won't lay-down, like it does with the stock tension-style shackle, so it's sixes. Gain some ground clearance, but lose some drop.

Not to steal the thread, what would you (anyone) reccmend? (don't replie, if it's getting to off-topic, at some point, if a get digital, I'll make a real post)

Other-wize, I really like the '63s, almost a bolt on deal with pre '81 K-5s.
    Dunnow dildilly about the Ford springs.

<font color=blue>Wow Factor
    A SBC at 6000 RPM, Piston speed of 60 MPH.
    3- The intake charge reaches a speed 4 X greater than the piston.
    Thats 240 MPH.

11. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Hey go ahead and steel away. If we get usefull info that's what it is all about. Heck it might get me thinking about something different to do. I am deffinately going for the 57" spring idea since it is a cheap way to gain alot of flex and I can get the springs dirt cheap.

12. BadDog

Since Wayne gives his permission. [​IMG]

Hmmm, not sure if I understand what you asking. Maybe I'm a little slow today but, could you restate the question/problem?

Russ

13. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Thanks Wayne.
    Bad dog, or anyone else.

In a nut shell,
    What would you do?
    - sacrifice suspension travel for ground clearance
    or
    - Sacrifice ground clearance for suspension travel

<font color=blue>Wow Factor
    A SBC at 6000 RPM, Piston speed of 60 MPH.
    3- The intake charge reaches a speed 4 X greater than the piston.
    Thats 240 MPH.

14. BadDog

Within reason, I go for clearance. If you get hung up hard, you aint goin anywhere or you break something. If you lift a wheel, as long as you don't loose control/roll, you can still go on. Some of these "oh my god" suspensions seem to be a bit out of hand IMHO. If there is little or no pressure on the tire, it touching the ground is doing very little to help anyway. That's not to say that I don't want a flexy suspension when the cost is not too high, but I gotta go with clearance if the flex/travel is gonna cost me significant clearance. That's just me though...

Russ

15. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

In a nut shell,
    What would you do?
    - sacrifice suspension travel for ground clearance
    or
    - Sacrifice ground clearance for suspension travel

<hr></blockquote>
    to cure the ground clearance issue just get bigger tires[​IMG]. But heres my .02
    lets say you have some wild flex, what good is it if your dragging your 4 link and axle across the rocks.....
    and on the flip side:
    if you have awesome ground clearance and no flex...the only real clearance you'll have is under your tire[​IMG]

So I would work towards a happy median..
    36-38"
    4-6" lift
    trimmed to clear
    poly bushings through out
    altered shock mounts
    ditch the spring clamps(or make the bolts removable)
    if you still want more flex look into doing the springer set up, buggy springs, 3/4 elliptic(sp?)
    or go all out and do the 3 or 4 link with coils or even air bags[​IMG]

<font color=red>Life is like a mud hole:</font color=red><font color=blue>
    When the S#!T gets deep, you have to keep moving and friends can always pull you out</font color=blue>
    55 Willy's

16. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

Do you really want to have to fix your springs daily? I wouldn't want Ford cooties getting on my Chevy.

If you knew the truth, you too would be against marijuana prohibition!
    Blue '74 K5 Blazer Topless W/ 35 BFG Muds

17. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Your barking up the wrong tree with ford cooties.[​IMG] I already got the Ford cooties front shock mounts (just not on the truck yet) so I might as well get some more.[​IMG] Ford did make some good things.

18. BadDog

I always look for the best parts (best value/price/function) for my application regardless of where they are found. I don't care if it says Ford, Dodge, or Toyota; if it has what I need/want for the best price, then that is what I will get. Usually that works out to GM which is why I started with a K30.

Russ

19. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Hey ford had good things like the ford 9", and the new powerstroke F350 :)

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

20. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

so you think having a tire with no pressure is cool as long as it touches the ground?
    seem like a foolish exercise to spend time and $$$ to get a tire to touch the ground yet be unable to provide any useful traction.
    droop is a waste of time, unless you are building a ramp queen.
    you would be better off figuring how to increase pressure on the tire that has traction.

formerly 77chev