Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

questin about "my computer" on windows

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by colbystephens, Jun 12, 2006.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

so my wife and i have two different profiles on this computer. we often access our own documents (i.e. colby's "my documents" folder) from eachother's profiles. just for clarity, because i don't think i'm making much sense, lets say my wife is using the computer but happens to be working under my profile and wants to work on a document which she has saved in her "my documents" folder - so she should go to "my computer" and find her file. Well, it happens that some time back "claire's documents" dissapeared from "my computer" and it wont let me copy and paste her folder back in. how can we fix this? it is annoying to have to go down a rabbit trail every time just to get to her "my documents" folder. any ideas?

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

move her docs or copy them to 'shared docs' then they can be accessed from either account.....I think!!

3. colbystephens

that would make the rabbit trail shorter, for sure. i'll start there. i'd like to have her file actually back on my computer tho. thanks for the tip.

4. colbystephens

so, if she saves something to "my documents" when under her profile, will she be able to access this document under "shared documents" --> "claire's documents"? or will it only save to the one?

5. southernspeed

She can copy it to 'shared docs'. I'm no wizard at this but this is what I've done with some of my wifes stuff.Only 'shared' stuff can be accessed from both sides.

6. colbystephens

hmmmm. i don't think you understood that post of mine which you quoted, and i'm not sure how to write out my question better. i appreciate the help tho.

7. southernspeed

I understood. If she saves under 'my docs' she will only be able to access it from her account. If she saves it under 'my docs' but also copies each folder to'shared docs' the she can access it from your account too. Kind of like leaving it in the serving hatch between the kitchen (her account) and the garage (your account)........you do have a serving hatch between the garage and the kitchen don't you?:D

8. colbystephens

my 330 sqft doesn't have a garage. the nearest garage i have to work in is 50 miles away! :( she did make me a kick ass breakfast this morning tho, and i got promised a great afternoon in the sack too. :D

9. southernspeed

Well to hell with the computer then!:D

10. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

right click on my docs and click sharing and security, then share it. i know sharing works on a network, never tried on the same computer

11. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

or access it from explorer the old fashion way...
    c:\documents and settings\asdfasdasdf\asdfasdfas\fasdfasd\asfda\wifes my documents folder

12. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Next time you dick with the hard drive, make yourself each a small file partition plues the main one

13. colbystephens

i don't really understand what that means. as far as i'm aware, i didn't do anything to the hard drive. we were just surprised to see her file not there one day.

14. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

Ok, I am confused...are you asking how to make a shortcut on your desktop to access her My Documents?

15. colbystephens

no, i'm talking about getting the shortcut to her documents folder which was originally found in "my computer" back into "my computer" as it randomly dissapeared a while back.