Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

question #1

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 91k-5, Jun 3, 2001.

1. 91k-5

91k-5 Registered Member

Ok guys here it goes. Hopefully I fixed the language setting, fortunately I took highschool spanish.
    I'm looking into about a four inch lift. I'm leaning towards tuff country's ez ride. What does everyone think. My blazer looks like Tori's first one. (moment of silence). Right now its gutted and brushed with bed liner on the interior, I need to weld in some patch panels and replace the rear sill and then its time to get busy building it up but it is my first project so I'm thinking four in lift... stock wheel.. 33's... and possible dual exhaust to compensate for the bigger tires... any pointers or pushes in the right direction will be greatly appreciated...

this site rocks!! thanks for welcoming me a board...

oh and wear can I get a couple of those kick a$$ t-shirts

91k-5
    Kris

2. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

What does dual exhuast have to do with bigger tires?

If you want to comp for the bigger tires, then you need to re-gear the axles.
    As far as the lift, you need to figure out why your installing the lift. Looks, wheeling (mud or rocks)
    Looks egual= stiff springs
    mud=medium
    rocks=soft
    Also your stock wheels are probably 7" wide, so you should try to stay with a 10.50 wide 33" sted of the normal 12.50's.
    Hope this helps. Most all your questions are going to get opinions not hard facts. So take it all in and turn it all around, thats what its all about.
    Later

Steve Fox for President, 2004.
    Jimi Hendrix was re-incarnated in 1990 as my....JIMI

3. shane

shane 1/2 ton status

Already going for the shirts... Good man, keep up that line of thinking and you will definety fit in around here. Now we just need to work on some hats [​IMG]

Never argue with idiots; They will drag you down to their level and beat you up with experience [​IMG]

4. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

Welcome! What kind of ratio are your gears?? The dual exhaust won't really compensate for the tires, but is a good mod anyways. I gotta agree with ftn's post, why are you lifting it?? When you answer that, we can help steer ya a little better. Speaking of which, brace the steering box!! Mucho Impotante!! [​IMG]

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!! [​IMG]

5. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

One more problem I see. The dual exhaust... Are you talking true dual or dummy dual? The true dual will defiantely give you some more breathing room. However, you will not be legal. Dont know how your emissions inspections run in your neck of the woods.

6. 91k-5

91k-5 Registered Member

I would definatley go with the 'true' dual exhaust. I'm just looking to get better low end torque. I have stock everything right now so I'm going to piece meal it together, one weekend and paycheck at a time. The lift is to improve the stance and give some ground clearance. For starters I'm doing light off roading. I want to build a beater later. This truck is fun, girls, etc.... you know the important things in life....

oh yeah and a 350 with dual exhaust is music to my ears...

7. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Just remember that that true dual will be illegal for emissions.

8. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

If your truck is running 3.08's.. and you go w/ 33's.. not a good idea..
    My truck has 186,000 + miles on it. (305).. once I added the 4 inch Rough Country 4 inch front/rear spring lift..
    http://www.rocko.coloradok5.com

9. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Remember, going too large on exhaust pipes (especially with duals) will give you a substantial horsepower gain on the top end (high rpms), but can cost you on low end torque (low rpms) where your rig will probably need it most. This is especially true if you keep your stock gearing and add larger tires. Some guys use 2.5" duals on a 350 for better breathing, but if I were you, I would go no bigger than 2.25" duals. Adding a crossover pipe will help torque numbers a little too.

Just my $.02 from past experience. As said before, take it all in and make your own decisions. The best way to find out how something will work, is to find somebody who has already done it and ask them as many questions as you can.