Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question About 18 Circuit Painless Wiring Harness

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1-ton, Apr 1, 2005.

1. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I need to completely rewire my 1985 K30 Dually, and I was thinking of using the Painless 18-circuit wiring harness kit. I need to rewire both the interior and engine compartment. Does anybody know if the Painless wiring harness kit comes with the harnesses for both the interior and engine compartment? Summit Racing also has an 18-circuit universal wiring harness kit as well for half the price of the Painless kit. Does anybody know if these wiring harness kits are any good?

2. 1-ton

Any people here with experience with these wiring harness kits?

3. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

I have compleatly rewired my k-5 with the painless 18-circuit lit...it was very simple and included everything..it did the engine compartment, and the interior, all lights...includeing the 4x4 indicator light in your dash..it also comes with a new fuse box and bulk head. all wires are labled and the instructions are straight foward..it even comes with things that i didn't hook up..like power window, power locks...mine are manual.it has pin switches for dome lights, and interior lights.it also comes with stereo wires (a ignition power and constant power)..thats kinda cool..no need to tap or splice to add a stereo.all in all i compleatly rewired the entire blazer bumper to bumper in about 11 hours non stop...this included compleatly gutting my interior to properly run all wires, and neetly routing and protecting all wires.

4. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I also used the Painless 18-circuit kit when I put the 56 together. I had to use a universal kit because there wasn't one available for my application. It was high quality and pretty well thought out. The wires were all long enough to reach their termination points (and then some...). That being said, I would recommend getting the kit specific to your vehicle if one is available. I put one in a Jeep and all of the wires were finished with factory style connectors, it was a true plug and play harness.

5. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

yeah i must say i was a little intimadated when i opend the painless box and saw all of the wires and connectors..and thougth to myself "all of this is in my truck and needs to be replaced?, its gonna take me for ever"..but i just layed everything out on the floor and was amazed at how easy it was to do..my friends saw all the wires on ther floor and said i was crazy to even try and do it. but when i was done, they were amazed that i did it as fast as i did..i would say the hardest part for me, was running the light wires to the rear or the truck, not that it was hard..but i highly reccomed going to the carwash and pressure washing all the mud, dirt, and grease off from under the truck first..its a great kit, a little more pricey than others that i have seen but in my opinion well worth it. they have great customer support too, i called a couple times to ask a question about what i was doing and they stayed online a walked me through everything, they even hunted down a compleate 1982 k-5 factory wire diagram and faxed it to me..i would highly reccomed them and their product, and i will use them again..i also bought the waterproof dual battery kit, and high output alt kit from them, and installed those at thesame time.

6. 1-ton

It sounds like, from the replies, that the Painless kit is a good product, but what I want to know is: Does anybody know if the cheaper Summit Racing kit is a piece of cr*p, and the Painless kit is 100 times better or what? I called Painless, and got one of my questions answered about the engine compartment wiring, and it does come with the harnesses for the engine compartment.

7. blazerpunk

blazerpunk 1/2 ton status

Check out E-Z wirring if you're on a budget. I did a universal kit on my old FJ40. Perety simple but you do have to splice in all the existing connectors. I was happy as hell with it.