Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question about 2 piece driveshaft

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by protechk5, Dec 25, 2006.

1. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

Well my old auto tech teacher back from high school is selling me a 465/205 combo that im going to swap out for my 400/208. He has everything I need, including a 2 piece rear ds, I think he said it needed a bearing or something. But should I use this or just get a 1 piece? I plan on doing a 4" shackle flip with maybe on some 2" springs, so 6" tops total. What is better? This will all be on my m1008 , so its longbed. Thanks

2. k204dr

k204dr 1/2 ton status

well the 2 piece can be used to get your driveshaft up and out of the way of rocks. other than that, i'd run a regular shaft just for less joints. just depends on what you want to do.

3. cabledawg

cabledawg Secret Squirrel Premium Member

I think he meant a DS with one end that slides into the other (like a tractor PTO shaft). If this is what you were given, you will need to keep this in order to get the shaft installed as well as keep the ujoints from binding at full droop or compression. Unless someone did a slip yoke conversions to the back of the 205. Then a one piece can be used.

4. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

thats still a "1 piece" drive shaft. he means 2 piece shaft as in attached together by a u-joint in the middle. hes swappin in a 465/205 fixed yoke

5. rhino105amx

rhino105amx 1/2 ton status

It does need a carrier, aka center support bearing. It mounts to a crossmember on the frame with two bolts. They are only about $20 or so.

6. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

$20 from where? And I would use a 1 piece for the rear. I only have a 2 piece up front for angle and it keeps it out of the rocks like mentioned above.

7. bronc3buster842001

bronc3buster842001 1/2 ton status

only thing you need to watch for is some of the two piece driveshafts had a bigger carrier bearing my old truck had the big one and it was like 50 bucks and oll the parts stores around here had to order it

8. rhino105amx

rhino105amx 1/2 ton status

This is the one my Suburban used. Autozone Carrier Bearing (Driveshaft)[​IMG]TIMKEN Carrier Bearing (Driveshaft) for a 1978 Chevrolet Truck K20 3/4 ton Sub 4WD
    Unit Price: $15.99Core Value*: $0.00Part No.: HB88107AWeight: 2.6 lbs.Warranty: Availability: [​IMG] Online: Ships within 2 business days [​IMG] Store: Normally Stocked Note:
    (Hanger brg assy) Spicer 1280, 1310, 1330; 1.3780" bearing

9. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I have a 2 piece and there are plus and minuses to it..

pro
    shaft is up higher... from pumpkin it shoots up to the carrier bearing.. on a pretty harsh angle... then goes up a tad to the transfer case on a slight angle

con
    wheel hop.. I can mash the gas hard enough and get my rear tires to hop due to it
    1 more universal... it goes universal from tcase to carrier bearing then slip portion of shaft to universal.. then shaft to universal to pumpkin (if i remember correctly)

you can see the shaft angle in this pic.. I was picking up the rear of the truck along with springs.. to get factory block out.. so that is the angle of my shaft.....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]