Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

question about 350 swap

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by bryguy00b, Oct 23, 2003.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ok what do you guys use for a tranny after you throw in a 350? you need cutsom tranny mounts and all that to!?

2. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

what motor is in your s10 now. the 4.3 has the same bell housing bolt pattern as a 350. for the others, i believe there are adaptors from advanced adaptors, but from all i've read, the trannies that came behind 2.8s and 4 bangers will not hold up. check out the Advanced Adaptors site and also check out this site. they have a v8 specific forum

3. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Not sure where my reply went on this one? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I guess I will have to put it in here again...

I had a '85 S15 Jimmy that I put a 350 V8 into. The original 2.8 had a 700R4/NP207 behind it so I was able to run a V8 version 700R4 in its place with no modifications or adapters then put the original NP207 behind that. Only thing I had to buy were motor mounts (which I have left over and will sell).

I ran the guts from the 2.8L version 700R4 in a V8 case and never had a problem until a tranny line blew and someone else driving it didnt stop till it was dead. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif The 2.8 and 4.3 700R4's have less clutch packs in them than the V8 versions but you can update them to fit more clutches with factory parts (better to find a V8 core though).

You will have more problems though. You need a remote oil filter kit, V8 radiator, short water pump w/flex fan or run dual 12" electric fans in front of the radiator with a long water pump. I was able to fit a drivers side Ram Horn exhaust manifold very well but had a hard time making something work on the pass side. Ended up with a late 70's manifold and had to grind off some of the ribbing on it to fit.

Then I had problems with the exhaust being too close to the floor and melting the carpet. A 2" body lift probably would have fixed that but the truck rusted out before I got that far.

I have been there and done that without the JTR book and would be happy to help if you have any more questions. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

cool! i dont have an s-10 at the moment but have always wanted to do it..i see a lot of deals on s-10's with high miles or blown engines for 2-300 bucks. thought about just buying one for a daily driver to cut down on gas cost and work on my k-10..but i know i would eventually want to do that swap befor long just becuase i knew it was possible /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif was a 91 sanoma..200 bucks..bad lifter..and a 91 s-10 ext. cab..rusty body..good 4.3 but it has 234k on it /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif might run great but my luck i would drive it for a week and the engine would blow..

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Just keep in mind that when you buy a 2nd vehicle, it means another insurance payment, another truck that needs repairs, gas, oil, tires, shocks, brakes, etc., etc., etc. You can easily get to a point where you can't afford to do anything to your "other" truck. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You can easily get to a point where you can't afford to do anything to your "other" truck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, do i know all about that! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yes this is true..thye wouldnt both be on the road though..no way i could afford that..i would drive it and not sink any more money than i had to in it..and just spend what i had on ym truck..plus id save big gas money