Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

question about 6.5L?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 82K5_6.5L, Jun 28, 2003.

1. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

well i was just reading the post about the guy who ran out of diesel.. well i am curious, do i have to do things differently since i have the 6.5L? like when i go to auto zone to buy something, i have to tell them its the 82 Blazer w/ the 6.2L. i dont know what year the engine is, but all i know is that its only got 45K on it!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif so what do i have to do different or not do..etc...???!
    thanx guys! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. edeslaur1

edeslaur1 1/2 ton status

Ah, Tucson. I used to live there for a couple of decades. Sure miss Charleau Gap and Chivo to say the least. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I only have a teeny bit of the info here.

Look at your fuel pump. If it's a mechanical (one pink wire, one green wire jumpered to 2 places), then you could be considered to have the equiv of an early 6.5

If the truck used to have a 6.2 (e.g. not a gas conversion), then most likely they left the fuel delivery system alone (including the manual pump, though it got upgraded to the mechanical 6.5 version I'm sure).

Say you want filters. Look at yours, take measurments, and go to your local parts store. The first time, I would go to Napa. They are very, very good at matching up stuff you don't know about. After that, you can go to Autozone or Merle's on 22nd & Golf Links /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif, or Big A, etc. since you'll have a Napa part # to match. Because of their service, I like to keep them in business, even though they're not the cheapest.

I would expect parts to only be an issue when you're dealing with items like the pump, injectors, or rebuilding the engine - depending on how much of a conversion they did.

From what I'm finding out, it's common to go from 6.2 to 6.5. If you have a 6.5, you know a turbo would be real easy to add using junkyard parts...

The conversion is apparently detailed at http://www.thedieselpage.com ($$ membership required)

Good luck!
    83 Southwind Diesel 6.2 puller

3. edeslaur1

edeslaur1 1/2 ton status

Oh, try these guys for used parts too.
    Avant salvage 1-800-553-8192

They do killer NA engines as well, but the last one I saw installed came with the flywheel bolted on but not torqued (they usu ship them unattached) and it cost the guy some clutch and flywheel work and labor. Unfortunately, they haven't stepped up to the plate, though it's still going on (about 1-2 weeks old),

If you decide to do an engine, be sure to check the torque on any flywheel if it comes attached.

4. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

haha, good old tucson.. well thanx for the info, i will have to go check that stuff out. wells as far as i know with the engine, the guy i bought it from put the 6.5 in it because the other owner trashed the 6.2. he didnt really tell me anything else, but it did only have 40K miles.. so thats nice! well as far as Charleau Gap and Chivo, they closed them down for now.. im not sure about Chivo, but the Gap is closed. i went out last tuesday (the day i broke my damn tuck out there /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif ) and the next day me and some friends went bad and they had it blocked off because of the fire and stuff..
    well ok, enough rambling! thanx /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif