Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question about 6 inch lift...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Hoss, Oct 31, 2001.

1. Hoss

Hoss Registered Member

What modifications will I need to make to install a 6 inch lift (its a Suburban if that matters)?

I was planning on installing an 8 inch lift, but a friend said that his friend installed a 6 inch lift kit on his Blazer and didn't have to modifiy drive shafts or change axle angle or anything. Way back in the day when I bought a 4 inch lift, the dude at the shop said anything more would require lengthing drive shafts and what not. I don't know, maybe he was trying to get more money out of me or something.

-C
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.theonespot.com/myrides/suburban>1982 K20 Silverado Suburban</a>

2. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

i think mabey brake lines, sterring arm.........

high

3. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

im not a hundred percent sure for burbs, but for blazers, a six inch lift usually requires the rear shafts to be lengthened.
    Most guys lower the t case as well, this helps with angles, and then from there you can fine tune it with shims under the axles. Its kind of a trial and error deal, some guys need the shims some run fine with just a lower tcase, it all depends on YOUR truck. Good luck!!

-matt
    <font color=blue>86, 350, 33's</font color=blue><font color=red>Lop Sop Doi Off-Road</font color=red>
    www.chevyhedk5.tripod.com

4. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

search this topic, I know I responded to this earlier.....Brake lines and steering components have been said. I would do the shaft thing cause I dropped my rear out playing around the other week. Shimming and dropping the case are good for vibe problems, they dont completely solve the issue though.

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/thatguydrew23>http://community.webshots.com/user/thatguydrew23</a>
    "JEEP....SO GIRLY, BARBIE HAD TO HAVE IT"

5. Hoss

Hoss Registered Member

A couple questions...

1) How do you know when drive shafts need to be extended?

2) How do you lower the transfer case? Do you just put some washers and longer bolts, or is there a lowering kit or something? Do you have to do something with your engine/tranny when you lower the t case?

3) What are you looking for to know if your diffs are angled properly? Is there an actual angle to measure, say from a level floor, or do you just keep tilting it up until there is no U-joint vibration? Can it be tilted too far?

Thanks for the help!

-C
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.theonespot.com/myrides/suburban>1982 K20 Silverado Suburban</a>

6. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

1) When they fall out of the slip yoke or you shearing pop noise on full travel( its your straps and yoke meeting for the first time and getting off to a bad start). [​IMG]

2) Your transfer case has these neat 1" spacer things that are located inboard of your frame. Just remove the bolts and reinstall the spacers between the crossmember and the frame.

3) Your angles shouldnt be more than 8 degrees from eachother. Measured at the diff/pinion yoke and the output yokes from the transfer case. Home Depot had a magetic angle measure for $20 last time I checked.

7. bigk

bigk 1/2 ton status

So when you lower your transfer case, you are essentially raising the front of your engine, right? If so, does this cause any problems, like correct readings on your dipstick?

Karl
    Temporarily Unemployed Underwear Model
    87 3/4 ton

8. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

in theory it does affect that, but realistically i dont thing lowering the t-case only an inch will make that much of a difference. you can make a bigger difference parking on a non level surface.

-matt
    <font color=blue>86, 350, 33's</font color=blue><font color=red>Lop Sop Doi Off-Road</font color=red>

9. tightwork 82 K5

tightwork 82 K5 Registered Member

just finished 6in lift on my 82 k5 iI installed the genuine suspension kit from 4wheel parts. took three days after work to complete. about 8 hours total. you need brake line extenders. and a new steering arm. (heat up the cone washers and beat the arm off with a BFH). i have noticed a vibration in the rear end. i am going to lowerthe trany by putting those 1in spacers on the other side of crossmember.it drives straight and I do not notice any sway. but my steering wheel is about 180 off, i will disco the steering shaft to correct this.I will let you know about the tranny drop!!!!

Tell the truth and you never have to remember what you said!!!!

10. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

try adjusting your drag link before you disconnect the steering shaft....

-matt