Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question about '86 1 Ton

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Sammy Sandbag, May 20, 2005.

1. Sammy Sandbag

Sammy Sandbag Registered Member

I noticed an '86 1 ton in Truck Trader today, and it seemed like a reasonable price. I don't know too much about these trucks, and the only useful info in the ad was that it had a 454 and 5-speed. Can you guys tell me what kind of tranny, transfer case, and axles (ratios, lockers, brakes, etc) these things came with. Also, was the 454 carb or EFI back then?

Thanks

2. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

it'll have a dana 60 front axle, 14 bolt full floater rear, and an np205 transfer case. the tranny is probably an nv4500. it's not a stock tranny for that year of truck so i'm not sure.

diffs - open, maybe gov-lock in the back.
    ratios - prolly 3.73 or 4.10
    brakes - disk front, drum rear

if it's in good shape and you have a daily driver, it'd be a great buy.

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

:p: Yeah, especially with todays gas prices. :p:

I'm getting 5 mpg with my '85 K30 and its a daily driver. :mad: I'm waiting for my bro-in-law to come home next week and sell me his '94 Bravada with a 4.3 Vortec as he's moving to Vegas and I get his ride for "only" $500. Want the better fuel economy now. :cool1:

4. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

If it's got a 5 speed, that isn't stock. And if he had the cash to drop a NV4500 (just in case you didn't know, NV4500 is the most popular 5speed manual transmission, for dropping into our era of truck) in there, chances are good, the motor isn't stock, the axles aren't stock as well.
    Not that there's anything wrong with that, but the questions of what came on what vehicles for that year are probably irrelavent in the context of that truck.

5. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Did the add mention if it was a dually or SRW? If dually, then the rear axle will be a Dana 70 and the front will be a Dana 60 with dually hubs. I doubt you'd find anything higher (number-wise) than 4.10 gears.

86 is the last year of the carberator and it was a nightmare of hoses, valves and other emission related items. In CA we all stay away from the 86 as it's hard to pass smog and a pain to work on.

Eric M.

6. Sammy Sandbag

Thanks for the input guys. The picture in the ad shows a regular cab single rear. Looks to be a long bed. It just caught my attention because of the 5-speed and that it was a 1 ton. I'm also looking at a '72 Jimmy, but this truck might suit my needs better (i'm looking for a trail truck for hunting/camping.) It wouldn't be a daily driver, as I have a 2wd 1/2 ton. How hard/expensive would it be to convert the 454 to EFI if it hasn't been already? I've seen the Edelbrock and Holley kits, but they look like they'd be $2500 :frown1: Also, if it's a Dana 60 front, is it the king pin style that can be set up for crossover easily?

Thanks,
    Sammy

7. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

That's the D60 for crossover.

What sort of smog laws and inspections do you have there (if any)? You might want to look into those before you get too far into thinking FI.

Good Luck,

Eric M.

8. Sammy Sandbag

Thanks. No smog regulations that I can think of. I live in Alabama, before that it was SC. The only state I've lived in that required emissions tests was Northern Virginia (it should be a seperate state.) There's no anual inspection for vehicles here, they just go look at your vehicle to ensure it has 4 wheels when you register.

9. Sammy Sandbag

Woops, I just noticed the ad said '87. So I guess that means it is TBI?

10. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Yep, it should originally have been a TBI truck. You're right about inspections too, none. :D

60" to headlamps + windshield + seatbelts + tag & insurance = Have a nice day! :thumb: