Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question about '92 s10 Blazer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by charkol, Jul 9, 2006.

1. charkol

charkol Newbie

Hey everyone, first thing first I want to say that this site is very cool and very well put together.

Ok now to my question. Im 16 and am looking for a car. Now I found a '92 s10 blazer v6 4.3L 4x4 and the guy wants 3k for it. Its in very good condition and all. The things is it has cv joints in the front, for the 4x4. Now the car has only 68,000 miles on it and, like I said, is in very good condition. Now Im not sure how the 4x4 locks in and all and whether or not the cv joints has so many miles or what. I guess the question I have is whether or not the cv joints are always spinning, or are they just spinning and being worked only when the 4x4 is engaged.

Besides that the only other thing that needs attention is the heater core. I believe that it is leaking but I cant be sure. Its disconnected right now. Im not really worried about it though, I can live without for a while.

If anyone can help me with the cv joints that would be great. Also If anyone knows of any other problems with that line I should be aware of that would be awesome if you could tell me.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Here is a pic.

[​IMG]

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've had a '91 since it was new, looks very similar to the one in your pic. Mine's even that color! :laugh:

The CV joints are always spinning, even in 2WD. Mine started to really wander in its lane at around 75K miles. I replaced the upper and lower ball joints, inner and out tie rod ends, the idler arm and the pitman arm and then it drove like brand new again. All the new parts I installed are greasable (unlike the factory junk that was "lubed for life") and the front end is still tight even though it's coming up quickly on 168K miles. :cool1: If that one is going to need those parts soon, you're looking at $800+ if you have a shop do the work. :eek1: You can do it yourself for more like $250-300.

The new heater core costs around $25 and you can swap it in less than an hour. I've done mine twice now. :(

It gets around 17 MPG in town and 20-22 on the highway, depending on speed. I've also taken mine many places that most folks didn't think it could go. As a buddy of mine said after we took a little "side trip" while elk hunting in Colorado last November "You wheel the piss out of this thing!" :rolleyes:

3. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

In my experience - if it has AC - its an all-day event. :(

Look for a big puff of blue when you start it. Its a sign the valve guides are worn. New valve seals are a quick fix, are cheap, but a little tedious to install.

I hope it has the TBI (vin Z) engine as the high output CPI version tends to be more troublesome.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Why? Did you go in from under the hood? :eek1: I just went in under the dash and yanked the core into the cabin. Didn't take long at all, either time. I didn't have to mess with any of the a/c stuff. :rolleyes:

Mine is the Z code TBI motor and indeed, it puffs the blue smoke every time it gets started after sitting for a while.

5. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

You must have found an easier way... :o I couldn't get at it without partially removing the dash structure. :dunno:

6. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I've heard very bad things about replacing the heater core in a bravada, from a pretty capable person. Didn't sound like anything I'd want to do in my S10.

Looks like a nice rig though, even if that's 10X what I paid for mine. :crazy:

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

HarryH3 hit the nail on the head. Have it taken to a shop before you buy and have them check the front end. I have only seen one S10 come through our shop that didn't need balljoints or some steering part, and that was some creampuff like 20k original miles.

8. charkol

charkol Newbie

Thanks for all your help guys and with this information I will be able to make a decision. In my opinion I think the car is in pretty good shape.

9. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Why would you need a heater core in Florida? Just bypass the heater core.

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Eh when I was in Louisianna everyone thought I was weird wearing shorts in November. It was like 60 something half the time... to them it was freezing.

11. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Harry pretty much stated the facts as they are. I have two S10s currently (1 '93 x-cab 4x and a '92 4dr Blazer 4x). Both have the 4.3L "Z" motor, maual trans, NP231 case. These things are timepieces (only with the TBI vin "Z" motors in my opinion). The heater core is no big deal. I did it the hard way the first time, but I did it the easy way on my wife's truck. An hour sounds about right. Read this and you will have a real good idea of what you are looking at. It doesn't contain every detail, but those details are pretty easy to figure out as you go. Front ends are pretty stout for a small truck. I got about 100k out of my first set of ball joints (IIRC I only had to do the lowers--and this truck has seen plenty of trail duty). Idler arms and pitman arms do wear out. In my experience I put in about 2 idler arms to one pitman arm. CV axles are stout. Both of my trucks have factory boots on them still. Blue smoke at startup is usually present. It doesn't necessarily mean the guides are shot. In fact, some of these motors had no valve stem seals on the exhaust valves from the factory. Fel-Pro actually makes a good set of positive valve stem seals that work well--and arent too expensive (2 sets required--1 for intake and one for exhaust).
    At 68k on that truck, I would say it is a very good deal for what you would be getting (provided the mechanicals are good). It still has alot of life left in it--especially with the TBI motor. Like u2slow stated the CPI (vin "W" motors) seem be more troublesome. I would go so far as to say it WILL be more troublesome, but that is just my opinion. Like harry, I have gotten comments from several people that they didn't think I was going to make it up, over, through....etc. They are actually quite capable little trucks.
    Not that I need another one, but if that truck had the TBI motor and wasn't red, I'd be all over that thing.

12. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

There's some good info there. About those valve seals, would an 89 with TBI be one of the ones that doesn't have them? My buddy has one that smokes a bit on startup, but seems to run fine and sounds good. Just wondering if that would be indicative of any necessary maintenance.

13. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I just realized, "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" right? I was thinking that was familiar. That Paine quote is a classic too, nice sig.