Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question about a 4l60e

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mechted, Jan 9, 2005.

1. mechted

mechted 1 ton status Premium Member

Hi
    being the resident "truck expert" at work, someone was asking me about their 4l60e... apparently its hesitating going into first gear. It still shifts fine everywhere else, but if you punch the pedal, you wont go anywhere for about 4 seconds
    I dont know auto's all that well, so im not sure if its just out of adjustment or if its a sign the tranny is going. Can anyone enlighten me or point me in the right direction?
    this is on a 94 shortbed 2wd with a 4.3l with about 180k

2. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i'd say its probly a valve or something hanging up.. and its on its way out.
    180k sounds like its time for a new trans.

3. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Maybe a shift servo. If it is an easy change.

4. James670X

James670X 1/2 ton status

It's probably starting to go, since it is an electronic 700R4:mad:(I've had 2 700R4s go and that's out of 3 I've owned so far).

Anyways I would put a fresh filter and fluid in it and then make sure the tv/throttle kickdown cable is adjusted properly and then go from there.

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

4L60Es don't have a tv cable, its all electricly controlled

delayed enguagment, usually they only do this when they are worn out. to much play in the clutches and it takes a bit to take up the play. plus the pump is worn so it takes longer to pump the fluid to fill the space.

id check the fliud, make sure its full and not burnt, if its brown and smells burn then its time to rebuild. it ifs low that can cause it because the pump can't get enough fluid to enguage the clutches.