Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question about air pres. on 16.5s and riding like azz

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by grafixxman, Oct 18, 2006.

1. grafixxman

grafixxman Registered Member

I have a 87 1/2 ton longbed that rides like an unloaded dump truck now. It is all stock minus the motor and 33x12.50 BFG MT/KMs. It rides terrible.

Now, I have a 60 and 14 bolt out of a M1008, lifting it 6" springs all around, 16.5x12 Eagle wheels w/ 38.5x15x16.5 Boggers. It will be completed within the next few weeks.

Now, I know the boggers will ride terrible and the springs aren't the soft-ride models...but I am more concerned with air pressures on the 16.5s. I would like to run a little less air pres. to try to help the ride as much as possible. Since they don't have a safety bead...how low can you go and still be safe? How low can you go on the road, but how low can you go off the road?

I have thought about rim screws since I am a long time drag racer and I cannot afford beadlocks right now. If I have to, I will bust out the drill and go to town on the wheels. I would rather not if it isn't necessary.

Do you think I will be ok or not so good with the 12" wheels. I know I should probably have the 9.75s, but this is what I currently own and I cannot afford the start changing things now. I just got all my parts together to do this. Down the road, I plan on some beadlocks, but I am more concerned with right now?

So, please help a new guy out. Past experiences, know of a guy, whatever.

Thanks

Tyler

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I saw a water bladder in the new Petersons you can add weight to the bed with so it rides better .

3. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I am running 12 inch wheels with 44/18.5-16.5 gumbo monster mudders. I run about 20 psi on the road and 7-9 offroad. I could probably go a little lower but they conform well enough. no beadlocks, no screws, and I wheel hard. I have lost one bead. I was being pulled sideways with a winch. I came to a stop, the guy kept spooling in the cable and pulled the sidewall into a pointed rock. it pushed in right by the rim and poof my truck's sitting a foot lower.:doah: I carry a full size spare, so it wasn't the end of the world.

I never thought that my boggers rode terribly. I ran them every day on the street for over a year. with the lift you are running and the wide wheels they will rub. I had an 8" lift with cutout flares running 35/16.5-16.5 boggers and they would hit the inner fender when flexing.

If you run a narrow wheel with a bogger you will wear the center of the tread out quickly and ruin a set of awesome tires.

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

couldnt you lower the pressures to make for a flatter footprint and make them last longer?

5. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

you need a certain amount of air pressure to keep the tire reasonably stable on the road. go to intercotire.com. they recommend a certain size rim for a reason.

6. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I got the same tires but in 15s on 12s, and with about 15# it isn't too bad. Anymore the center will wear out in no time. Anyless will squirm all over the road, and being a 16.5, could pop off the bead. Get a good set of shocks. I had a 3/4 ton that had an all spring 6" lift. Two shocks front, single rear. When I swapped a 60 in, I left one shock on, and it rode ten times better. The BBC and Ranch Hand style bumper helped too.

7. basing110

basing110 1/2 ton status

i run 18 psi on my 44" boggers on street and have ran 15 also but 18 was best for street in my opinion ..