Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question about airfilter housing

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TXsizeK5, Oct 8, 2001.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Ok i was doing some cleaning.. i opened up the top off the air clearner and then lost the screw (my mistake).. then the bottom part of the pan that holds the air filter... is that supposed to come out without any screws? CUz i just jiggled mine and it came out exposing the tbi?
    Anyhow.. there were 2 hoses conecting to the air filter housing ... one was out to the left (facing the engine from the front, or passenger side) just behind the part of the pan that protrudes out and comes out to suck air... that was connected to the inside of the pan with a orange plastic thing made by fram it goes down and to the left some more where it conects to a thing with an indention on it right next to the oil dipstick.. what is that??...and what is the orange thing made by fram? i broke it i need to reaplce it lol. Second... what the hell is that tube there for? There was a second tube like thing conecting to the bottom part going stright down of the metal thing that protrudes from the pan this was not connected on by anyhting, what is that there for?.. im tryingf to desribe this the best i can i know it might sound kinda not clear. I see it all in the haynes manual but i cant find the names for these tubes. Thanks for trying your best to try and understand what im trying to say.

6in 87' K5 w/ 35" BFG muds.
    305/Sm465/ NP208
    Kn filter--> 20hp haha
    I got my 4.56!!!!
    Next.., 2in body and 37" SSR's!

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

The tube going into the orange deal is your valve cover breather, and the orange deal is the filter for it - costs about $3. The other one should be the exhaust manifold preheater (TBI guys correct me if I'm wrong). And the bottom pan should lift right off.

Of the 5 toughest dogs in the neighborhood, my cat's ranked #3
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

3. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

i THINK i mighta found it in the haynes manual... does the thermatic air cleaner sound familiar could it be it? Thanks and that hing i said protruding out athat sucks air could be called a snorkel tube i guess? I dont know... my mind is bogging trying to think of this

305/Sm465/ NP208
    Kn filter--&gt; 20hp haha
    I got my 4.56!!!!

4. TXBIGFISH

TXBIGFISH 1/2 ton status

Yes you are right, you need to thy to find out where it goes on your engine, especially if you have to pass emissions test.

&lt;*)))&gt;&lt;

81" GMC Jimmy.............stock for now!
    I see a 6 inch lift in the near future!

5. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

No emmisions testing, but id like to know what happens if that filter was cracked and if its disconected... the exhuast preheater isnt conected on very well.. the housing kinda sits on it... and then when i boght it the valve cover breather was disconected from the bottom where it conects to that odd looking thing with the indention in it (right next to teh dipstick)
    Thanks guys... im getting my gears this week =)
    laters
    Ohh ps. can i buy those screws at autozone or something for my air filter top cover?
    305/Sm465/ NP208
    I got my 4.56!!!!

6. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Is this filter called the PCV filter???

305/Sm465/ NP208
    I got my 4.56!!!!

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I disconnected my exhaust preheater. You don't need it. The only problem is if you live somewhere that is cold it could run rough until it warms up. The orange thing is called a crankcase breather filter if I remember right.