Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

question about axels

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 4x4swede, Sep 17, 2002.

1. 4x4swede

4x4swede Registered Member

Hi yall
    Got a 87 K5 and I want stronger axels then the 10 bolters on it, theyr not broken yet but I rather chase new ones before they do hehe. Anyone have suggestions what to use and from what models/year I can grab them for easyest change? Please dont use the tonage on the truck models, because the shops here in sweden know sheit about that (.

2. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

79 to 86 Chevy 1 Ton, or K30. The front axle would be a King Pin Dana 60 and the rear a Full Float corporate 14 bolt.

Strongest setup available from the factory.

Depdog

3. 4x4swede

thanks for that depdog, only found 1 scrapped K30 in all of sweden and it was stripped already (. Any other models with good axels?

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You can also check for 1973 to 1987 3/4-ton GMC and Chevy pickups and Suburbans. The ID for these changed over the years, so they could have either of the K20, K25, or 2500 logo on the side of the body. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

Check to be sure that the rear axle is a full floater 14-bolt. Some of the years had only a single floater. You can ID the full floater by the large hub sticking out through the center of the rear wheels. A single floater will just have a flat flange, similar to your current 10-bolt rear axle. These trucks will only have a Dana 44 or 10-bolt front axle, depending on the year, but they will have the 8-lug bolt pattern for the wheels.

Another option is that it is also possible to convert your current front 10-bolt to accept 8-lug wheels. You will just need everything from the ball-joints out to do that swap. There is an article on how to do that swap posted on the technical page. Just go to the main ColoradoK5 page and click on the "Technical" link. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

I don't know how difficult it would be to have the axles shipped to you from the US. Someone like thatK30guy could find some axles in the US for you and make certain that they are in good condition. He can also install any gears that you want, along with the locker of your choice. The only concern would be getting them shipped and the cost of the shipping. That may also stick you with some import taxes, depending on the rules in your country. I don't know how it would work out after the shipping charges and currency conversion, but it could be an option if you are not able to find the axles that you want in Sweden.

5. 4x4swede

Shipping axels to sweden is a last resort thingy (.
    Taxes is like 10% first on the price i pay including the ship cost, then the general tax is 25% on top of all that hehe. Its a POS to be a part of the EU, all things imported from outside is punishment taxed to hell.
    Gona check the other options on the axels tomorrow, hopefully I find some useful ones.

6. BIG STEVE

BIG STEVE Registered Member

I installed a sf 14 bolt out of 89 chev.3/4 ton had to
    cut of spring pads and move in closer ever thing else
    bolted up ok had to be a little creative with park brake
    cables there longer it has 6 lugs and is wider same as front
    now
    Also 10 bolts are not as weak as some guy s make them out to be just think about your wheeling thell work for 90% of it if your running 44s and lanching off rocks the size of
    VWs go for it. Its easy to get in the trap of over building.You GET A DANA 60 FRONT & 70 REAR YOUL BE DREAMING ABOUT 21/2 TON ROCKWELLS . Comon somebody tell me im wrong
    /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif 90 jimmy just traded my 99 1500 with 24 tho. MILES on the 5.3 for a o2 HD with a 8.1 just to haul my fat dog around .BUT man aint it sweet /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> How hard are Unimog axles to find in Sweden? There's some guys swapping those in over here, not exactly a bolt in deal, but very cool. </font color>

8. 4x4swede

Unimog axels isnt a biggie to get, but if I gona use the truck on the road is like a big NONO here hehe, or I will have the glovecompartement full of tickets in a week -p

9. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

how come? do they make the tires stick out a lot or something? get some hardcore fender flares.... why would they be illegal?

10. 4x4swede

We got some pretty harsh laws on car tuning and such in this sheit country (. There is a possibility to re register the truck (to amateur built vehicle) but it will cost a load of cast and checks to get it through (.