Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question about boxing blazer frame

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BiggerIsBetter, May 3, 2003.

1. BiggerIsBetter

BiggerIsBetter Registered Member

I was just curious if anybody had some pics or links to a site of a boxed Blazer frame? Is it really necessary for high horepower and high torque engines (600hp, 900 ft lbs) and for hard-core wheelin? I was interested in doing this sometime in the future and was wondering how difficult it is to do. Thanks.

2. CCRider

CCRider 1/2 ton status

Here's a pic of mine [​IMG] , not a great shot of the boxing , I have more if you need them just need to get them in my member gallery , Wasn't a problem for me to do , but then again , I'm a professional fab guy for a livin' .Punched and flared holes for access to some of the nuts , and to run lines through , also welded every crossmember in , and it probably took 2/3 the flex out of the chassis!!! The top on the truck doesn't go PONG when flexing anymore with the glass top off!!! I guess that says something for boxing it in. ........................CC /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I think you can use a piece of cardboard and a hammer to create a stencil for cutting the pieces you're going to weld onto the C-section frame. Basicly just hold the cardboard against the frame and hit it with the hammer till it crushes, then cut it out and trace that onto the metal you're using to box the frame. It doesn't sound like a really hard job to do, just time consuming. Good luck! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    The top on the truck doesn't go PONG when flexing anymore with the glass top off!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
    Great description of the sound /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifPONG /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I would consider it essential. You'll probably want your cage run to the frame when you really get after it. Boxing the frame is a start but your real gains in stiffness are from the cage being integrated. You have to limit the flex in the chassis to keep the thing alive long term. It also makes it perform better since suspension inputs are not lost in the flex cloud.

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I thought some frame flex was good. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

7. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

CCRider, since you're a fab guy can you make more of the boxing plates like those in your frame? Depending on the cost, I'd be interested in buying a set.

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I thought some frame flex was good

[/ QUOTE ] Some people think it is, some think it's not... Personally, I don’t think it’s necessarily a “good thing”, but I think trying to make the frame rigid is allot of work for little (if any return). Also, if not done correctly, it can actually cause new problems (that I’ve posted before). IMO, the only real down side to frame flex is the damage often caused to the body, and there are better/easier fixes for that than boxing the frame. Me, I built my truggy to allow the frame to continue flexing as it was designed to do. If anything, I’m going to make changes to loosen things up even more by using a Unimog (guess the German engineers didn’t know what they were doing either?) type pivot center back and center front, but it’s not really high on my priority list. Seems I'm on the unpopular side of this debate though...

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I thought some frame flex was good

[/ QUOTE ] Some people think it is, some think it's not... Personally, I don’t think it’s necessarily a “good thing”, but I think trying to make the frame rigid is allot of work for little (if any return). Also, if not done correctly, it can actually cause new problems (that I’ve posted before). IMO, the only real down side to frame flex is the damage often caused to the body, and there are better/easier fixes for that than boxing the frame. Me, I built my truggy to allow the frame to continue flexing as it was designed to do. If anything, I’m going to make changes to loosen things up even more by using a Unimog (guess the German engineers didn’t know what they were doing either?) type pivot center back and center front, but it’s not really high on my priority list. Seems I'm on the unpopular side of this debate though...

[/ QUOTE ]

No you're not /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    It's actually an ongoing debate that is 50/50 split.
    Each side has it's ups and downs as you mentionned, and yes the mog is engineered with a flexy frame.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif