Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question about changing out a power window motor and replacing w.striping

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Apr 2, 2003.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I bought new window channel weather striping and new window motors. Any tips to make this easier? I'm doing both sides! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
    I need to pull the glass to put the new channels in I'm sure. Is there an easy way of getting to the power window motor? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

To swap the motor:

Remove trim from interior. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Cut hand on door while trying to reach motor and unplug wiring harness. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Swear, then apply bandaid. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Drill out rivets that hold motor to door. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Cut hand on door while trying to remove motor and regulator assembly. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Following directions that come with motor, drill and bolt regulator so it doesn't cut off your fingers when you remove the motor from said regulator. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Install new motor to regulator. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Now you can determine how to get the glass out of the door, so that you can swap the weatherstripping. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif You can be certain that this will require more swearing and application of bandaids. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Put glass back into door. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Put regulator assembly back into door. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Cut hand on door while trying to position regulator assembly. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Bolt regulator to door. Bolts should be supplied with motor, to replace rivets drilled out earlier. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Cut hand on door while trying to reach motor and plug in wiring harness. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Reinstall interior trim. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Remove interior trim, plug in harness to power windows and locks. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Reinstall interior trim again. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Pat self on back for job well done.

3. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

The thing is... is that is soo true

John [​IMG]

4. jjlaughner

Thats kind of what I figured, I thought about about cutting out the area behind the carpet? /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, i think i might "modify" some of the sheet metal behind the door panels on my rig... the holes in the door are just a little to small. make them about an inch larger in every direction... and then maybe use some cheap rubber hose cut down the middle to line the sharp metal edges and it'd dang near be enjoyable to work on a chevy door. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

6. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

I was able to replace the weatherstripping and channels without removing the glass. The trick is to remove the bolt that holds the rear glass channel in place. Once you get that bolt out, the rear channel can be moved away from the window and allows a lot more room to work the new stuff in place. I used the LMC seals with no problems. Some people have problems with the windows not rolling up easily after you get it done. I found that the weatherstripping on the divider bar between the window and vent window needs to be pressed in REALLY hard to seat it properly, otherwise it will bind the window enough to make it difficult to roll up.

7. jjlaughner

See I'm replacing mine because the ones in the doors now are falling apart and the glass is getting hung up on the weatherstripping and ripping it. I didn't think about the seals making it harder to go up. I did just put a rear seal on the tailgate (from LMC) and the glass won't roll up without pulling the strip up with it (when I replaced it on my other blazer there was no problem). /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Figures.

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I thought about about cutting out the area behind the carpet?

[/ QUOTE ]

The motor and regulator will fit through the existing holes, it's just a tight fit. They install that stuff at the factory through those holes. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif