Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question about Cooking(or whatever it is) Oil in diesel

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by mtnman210, Apr 22, 2007.

1. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

My dad was looking into switching his work trucks from diesel to using the cooking oil. I know there was a kit ALONG time on the show trucks(something like American Fuels...)or something like that. Is there anything that needs to be done on the truck itself. Or how hard would it be to get the old oil from resturants?

Has anyone done this conversio?

2. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

I am pretty sure there is a law in california outlawing the transport of cooking oil without a hefty priced liscense for the big companies that pick it all up. I ran accross something about it a few months back while researching about biodiesel, and figured they are trying to discourage people out there from making their own biodiesel. He will pb just have to do it under the radar.

Remington

3. k204dr

k204dr 1/2 ton status

if you're just going to make biodesel out of it, nothing needed to be done to the truck except carrye extra fuel filters. if you wanna run it straight, you gotta build a heated system on your truck to switch over to once its warm.
    utahbiodiesel.com has kits and plans to build your own biodiesel machine.

4. runamok151

runamok151 1 ton status Premium Member

5. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the replys. He just came home today and started talking about it and asked if I knew anything about it. So I told him I'd find some info on it.

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I have talked o some restaurants, most have companies that take it already but I did find a few small places that will give me oil.
    As far as kits there a few companies one name comes to mind "Greasel", they make a system to put on your truck and you can use straight oil not biodiesel.
    You can also make the same thing if you have the patience and time. :D

7. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Here's an interesting paper from folks in the know:

Cut and paste the URL into your browser seach bar, and the thing will download. For whatever reason, it doesn't work as a link.

www.biodiesel.org/pdf_files/fuelfactsheets/clean_cities_SVOpaper.pdf

Biggest issues with long term use of SVO are injector coking, higher pour point, carbon build up, reduced engine life, and dilution of the lubricant oil.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2007
  8. k204dr

k204dr 1/2 ton status

I run 20% bio in my main tank, and straight used cooking oil in my 40 gal sub tank in the rear. its a heated system, so as soon as the engine is warm, I switch over to wvo.

9. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

yeah I think I will start looking around for a wvo supply since I have decided to keep the 6.2 and just drive it the way it is. Plus parts for them are cheap in comparison to other diesels, so changing injectors and injector pumps wouldnt be too bad once every couple of years. Plus it hardly ever gets below 35-ish degrees here, and freezes maybe twice a year. Thats something I want to do this summer if I can find enough time is to experiment with different types of fuel such as e-diesel (my uncle has an ethanol still:wink1: ), and different blends of wvo and svo. although I do wish and will pb research an applicable solution to high nox emission associated with the b-diesel, something that doesnt cost an arm and a leg

Remington

10. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Look no further than my sig, brother.. been there, done that.