Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question about easy off oven cleaner and paint -preping for lift

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Aug 20, 2003.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I have painted my axles several times with rust cap paint (like hammerite). I'm thinking of using the easy off to strip a little of the paint down so I can repaint them before they go back in when I do the lift. I have several patchy spots on the frame I might sand down and paint also.
    Anyone ever use this easy off oven cleaner to prep axles? Any problems with seals, gaskets, eating too much paint, didn't work for that use, etc!? Let me know if there is something easier. I dont want to grind the axles down, I might take a sander to the big areas and a wire wheel in the small places. I'm just wanting to remove several layers of paint /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

Ideas?

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

we use that stuff all the time for taking painted names off the backs of boats. works well on enamel and doesn't hurt the gel on us.

for real cutting power tho, Aircraft Stripper is pretty much the best paint stripper... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

It will also take the annidized finish off of aluminum. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I used Easy Off to clean my K10's frame, it took of the paint and undercoat. After hosing it off the frame was bare metal, it almost looked chrome. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I've never used it around rubber though so I don't know about that.

I'll be using it to clean the "new" frame for my K5 in a couple of weeks.

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I never thought of the oven cleaner as a way to strip paint..... it's really for degreasing a "new" old axle so that it clean enough to bring into the livingroom for disassembly /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sounds like the wrong product for your application, but I do love the lemon-fresh scent my axles had after using it!!!

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I used Easy Off to clean my K10's frame, it took of the paint and undercoat. After hosing it off the frame was bare metal, it almost looked chrome.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Hmm, I think jjlaughner just acquired a new idea. I'll bet that the frame I'm sending him will get this treatment soon. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I used Easy Off to clean my K10's frame, it took of the paint and undercoat. After hosing it off the frame was bare metal, it almost looked chrome.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Hmm, I think jjlaughner just acquired a new idea. I'll bet that the frame I'm sending him will get this treatment soon. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I think I will be buying two cans /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I wonder if a clear powder coat would keep the frame blingin after an easy off treatment /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

We used to stock it in the auto body supply/parts store I worked in years ago,the body shops used it all the time to remove lettering from former state dpw and other commercial trucks they bought at auction for re-sale.Left on briefly,it would only soften the outer layer of paint--allowing them to strip just the letters and decals,many times they didnt even repaint the truck--just took off the letters and such.I wish there was something in an aresol can that would stip the frame on my 74 K20 plow truck down to chrome--it looks like bark from a pine tree,or barnacles growing on an old shipwreck(sorta like the titanic!)--thats why I recently bought the 82 diesel K20 to replace it,before the frame crumbles into nuggets-- /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gifRust sucks!

9. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    We used to stock it in the auto body supply/parts store I worked in years ago,the body shops used it all the time to remove lettering from former state dpw and other commercial trucks they bought at auction for re-sale.Left on briefly,it would only soften the outer layer of paint--allowing them to strip just the letters and decals,many times they didnt even repaint the truck--just took off the letters and such.I wish there was something in an aresol can that would stip the frame on my 74 K20 plow truck down to chrome--it looks like bark from a pine tree,or barnacles growing on an old shipwreck(sorta like the titanic!)--thats why I recently bought the 82 diesel K20 to replace it,before the frame crumbles into nuggets-- /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gifRust sucks!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats the way my frame ont he plow truck is, Harry ^ is SO COOL, he's sending one with KennyW for me to replace mine /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif