Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

question about exhaust

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 350blazer91, Feb 19, 2006.

1. 350blazer91

350blazer91 Registered Member

ok i know this is going to sounds stupid but is there any company that makes true dual exhaust kits for a 91 blazer, i have looked all over the place and i found was a kit from dynomax but it only went up to the 88 year would this still work on a 91, thanks a lot

2. 10pax

10pax Registered Member

your probably not going to find many or any at all since it is illegal. The law says that if the truck came with single then it has to stay single. I think that the same exhaust kit from an earlier dual friendly model would work. I'm not that familliar with the 91 model but if it has a computer that has o2 sensors or something you might want to consider that as it may affect the fuel delivery system. I think I'm right but please by all means, if I am wrong someone correct me.

James

3. 10pax

10pax Registered Member

4. 350blazer91

alright thanks, i'll just go with a single exhaust system, what would give me the loudest possible sound with the cat on?? any suggestions would be helpful

5. wetbackZO

wetbackZO 1/2 ton status

a loud muffler...better yet, no muffler!! he he he...

6. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

There are high flow/high performance catalytic converters. Combined together with a high flow/high performance muffler, your truck will sound pretty ferocious.

7. First let give everyone in here 4 fingers as I found the group a month ago when I got my first Blazer but joined today. (yeah I always been a "Pickup Man" and Pro GM)

I have to laugh because (I do computer work for a bone yard and the same place is also a Napa dealer) and my exhaust is cat and no back :wink1:
    I am going through this same situation right freaking now and have done allot of searching and looking at exhaust catalogs and it's either the idiots on the new parts counter are idiots or they just didn't notice the things I have.

From what I have seen and read: 1987-91 exhaust are basically the same for my 87.

Both 5.0 and 5.7 had the option of Y into 1 and 2 tail pipes both on the left side.

5.0 had a 2 1/2 Y-pipe and cat and
    5.7 (mine) have a 3" system.

I was offered a full dual system but because I get it free but I didn't want to be a greed and said all I want twin tail pipes and a good sounding muffler. (I should have been greedy after what I been through with wrong parts)

Gibson and a few others make true dual kits for a Blazer but they cost almost as much as a boob job and I don't think exhaust is gonna get noticed as much.

I put a new high flow cat on and today a Flowmaster kit #17161 is supposed to come around 1PM. (I won't hold my breath)
    Eventually I'll go full duals when I add TPI or a LS6 but before that I want a set of shorty headers.

Now onto the emissions thing and what I read in other threads. Sheesh I thought CT was a pain on emissions.
    Around here if it came with a cat and you make it duals you just have to have dual cats but retain all emissions parts. (I had a 3/4 that came stock with no cat so through inspection it went)
    Around here a garage can't remove a cat but if you drive it in without one they can put an exhaust on with out a cat. 25K fine if they remove one or sell a used one.

Just been told CT doesn't have vehicle inspection right now but is back to doing emissions test but gave up the window stickers.

If I can keep track I'll post how it sounds If I get the right parts!

8. 350blazer91

alright guys thanks i'll try the high flow cat and a flowmaster original 40 if its not all that great then i guess im screwed, thanks for the input

9. Just don't blame me ok? From what I read the 40 series is car and truck and the 50 series is truck and SUV and has less resonance.
    I didn't post that I grew up in a garage as a kid that did custom exhaust and that some back pressure is a good thing. (See Walker's and Flowmaster's charts)
    I have put 3" systems on cars and trucks that were basicly stock and watched them gain sound and lose power.

I'm also advocate of keeping the airpump and making sure it's working.

10. 350blazer91

oh i wont blame you if it isnt what im looking for i'll just take it somewhere and have them do a custom dual exhaust for me

11. 350k5

350k5 1/2 ton status

My truck has a cat and two Flowmaster 40 series, and I would agree with what he said. It's more for a car, for a truck you want to go with a Flowmaster 50 series. My truck sounds ok... but not very good. A friend has only a single 50 series on his 96 Blazer and it sounds really good.

12. 350blazer91

alright then will the 50 series still let me be loud i wanna be the loudest mofo in this stupid preppy city i live in, also i decided not to run a cat cause i dont think there is any emmisions checks around here

13. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I did a "true" dual exaust on My 89 blazer. 2 1/4 from the manifolds. I used 2 catco catyletic converters and flowmaster 40s' which went to 2 1/2 pipes to the 3" outlets. I think the 40's sound great. Load enough so other people can hear ya, but can still talk inside! I did all the pipes my self. Got the mufflers from a store on ebay for 80.00 pr, cats from J.C. whitney. under 300 for all. Check your local laws. It's legal where I am to do duals as long as the cats are certified (carb legal)

14. 350blazer91

ok thanks for all the input i'll give it a try im just gonna stick with the 40's i really like the sound they produce

15. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Still illegal, just not bothered about by your locality, as it should be if you can pass a sniffer. :)