Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question about flexxing with a 2 inch add a leaf,

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Silver84k5, Nov 10, 2002.

1. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

ok i put stock springs back in the rear of my blazer i love the way it rides now, although it still seems to sag a bit in the rear, (even after i took the 0 rates out of the front) so i was thinking of putting in a 2 inch add a leaf. How much flex difference will there be if i put in the add a leaf... will i even tell a difference? i can get my 39.5 far enough in the rear fender so i cant see the lugs of the tire, i would like to keep it that way TIA

2. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Anytime you add leaves to the spring pack, you're gonna affect the spring rate...how much is hard to say. From my experience, you will feel a difference.

3. Silver84k5

Flexxing is new to me, as i 8 inch springs before that didnt flex at all. Which will flex better 2 inch add a leaf or 2.5 inch springs?

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

so what lift are you running and what kinds of springs?

5. Silver84k5

4 inch front springs, and stock rear springs with a shackle flip and a 0 rate,

6. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

so 5" already in the rear? adding another 1.5-2" would make the arse end higher. do you wheel alot with the top on? dunno. if you could find a 1" add a leaf, that might work. but it will lessen your flex if you are already running a stock pack.

7. Silver84k5

id rather have the ass end higher in the rear, cuz i still got a 0 rate for the front i can toss in there, i didnt even think they made 1 inch add a leafs, it would take some flex away, but not very much i would think, as for wheeling with the top on only in the summer it would be off, im just trying to figure out how much flex i would lose, i want to be able to stuff a tire in the rear fender all, the way up to the lugs on the tire... (not the lug nutz..)

8. BlazinNewTrails

BlazinNewTrails Registered Member

I'll pose this as a question rather than an answer because I am unsure if it's possible or rather... recomended.
    What if you stacked zero rates in the back?
    Put two 1" zero rates back there and your spring rate and flex should remain the same, add one back to the front if needed...
    Hopefully one of the guru's on here will tell you if this is ok or not!

9. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

the way i understand it, the zero rate is incorperated into the spring pack. if you stacked two, it would then be at about 2" and, IMHO, axle wrap issues and normal "i am on blocks" behaviour would start cropping up.
    If anyone with expereince has anything to add i'm all /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

10. Silver84k5

thx for the idea but i dont think i wanna do that,

11. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Add-a-leaf != flex

A 2 1/2 rear spring would flex better.

I wouldn't stack the zero-rates. That would still be better than a regular block, but still I wouldn't do it. If you need more than 1" extra, do something other than the zero rate.
    -- Mike

12. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

add a leaf's are made in different ways, some go on the bottom of the spring back (short style) and therefore have a higher spring rate to bend (lift) all the springs; other go under the main leaf or so (long style) and have a softer rate because they do not have to bend the other leafs