Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question about full time Dana 44

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Eric M., Sep 3, 2004.

1. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

I removed the drive flanges and hub / rotors to repack and replace the berings on my Dana 44. When I went to reassemble, the snap ring that fits on the end of the stub axle after the drive flange, wouldn't fit on one side. The axle didn't protrude enough to get the groove past the flange. I tried prying at the axle U-joint, but couldn't get it far enough out. The other one fit fine. I left the one side off. Is there a problem with leaving the snap ring off? Any idea why it won't fit? All I could figure was the new inner bering must be thicker than the old bering.

Thanks,

Eric M.

2. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    new inner bering

[/ QUOTE ]

New races too?

3. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Yep, new inner bering and race, and yes, the race was fully seated. I took a drop light and dentist mirror to inspect after seating the race - nice and tight at the bottom.

Eric M.

4. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure then, I can usually move the u-joint by hand enough to move the axle shaft far enough to get the clip on. The bearings should be the same size and the clip should fit, I would not drive without it.

5. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I would not drive without it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Too late. Gotta use the truck. I can't see what would happen. D60s are like that too, but some have the clips, others don't. Well see what happens /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Eric M.

6. gonecheenin

gonecheenin 1/2 ton status

Had the same problem on my 74' K20, theres a spacer on the axle stub where it comes up against the spindle bearing at the back of the steering knuckle, i took that out and sanded it down (it's brass or plastic) presto
    cured /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

and i've also run without them before, but i think that might missalign your u-joint and allow the joint to break easier during wheeling, not sure about that though (who knows what actually broke the joint), shouln't hurt to drive it like that on the highway though as long as you grease the back side of the diff side axle shaft flange, because whats gonna to happen is it's gonna slide back against the axle tube when your driving and if you don't at least grease it, then your gonna have a little machineing going on in your front end at 60mph /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

7. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    shouln't hurt to drive it like that on the highway though as long as you grease the back side of the diff side axle shaft flange, because whats gonna to happen is it's gonna slide back against the axle tube when your driving and if you don't at least grease it, then your gonna have a little machineing going on in your front end at 60mph /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I noticed that. I think I'll throw some grease on it until I do the ball joints, then I'll machine down that spacer. Mine is a 74 K20 also ... wonder if this is an issue spacific to that year.

Thanks for the input, I like the "machining the spacer" solution.

Eric M.