Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

question about full time with a 203 transfer case

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigdaddyhawgnuttz, Jan 24, 2005.

1. bigdaddyhawgnuttz

bigdaddyhawgnuttz Registered Member

Just bought my first real truck! 1977 jimmy 350/350 d44/10b all stock except wheels and tires. The truck is full time 4 wheel drive. Can I put manual hubs on the front to switch to 2 wheel drive or do a need a part time kit for the transfer case?:confused:

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

need the kit. also if high miles check the chain for ex slop.

3. bigdaddyhawgnuttz

4. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

5. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

77's should have a 12 bolt rear not a ten i would double check because it might not be the orignal drive train

6. renny

renny Registered Member

Why go to a part time kit?

It's not going to save you any gas mileage. How do I know? When I had my '79 Blazer with a 400 sbc np203 and TH350. I took off my front driveshaft and drove from Fort Lewis, WA. to Salem, Oregon in Hi Lock, put the driveshaft in and drove back in full time and I got exactly the same mileage in both directions.

There is no locking hub made that is as strong as that steel gear that's on the end of your front axles right now, unless you are going to run a spool in your front axle there is no benefit to getting rid of the fulltime 4x4.

I would love to have another NP203 bolted up to my TH700r4 but I don't know if it's possible and then I'd have to get a new rear driveshaft because my np208 has a slip yoke and the np203's don't, so I'm working on other upgrades right now.

7. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

You'll get people saying yes and no to the gas savings. On my old burb that I had with a full time case, I installed a part time kit and did the same thing you did (I drove from Portland to Coos Bay)without the kit and then did it again with the kit and no gas savings. Now in the burb I have now, I did the same exact thing and am getting a 3.2 mpg savings :D with the part time kit.

As far as the full time GEAR in the hub....I've shattered 3 of those and have never broke a lockout....so nothing is indestructable.

8. 1979jimmy350

for your info renny all you need is a new output shaft from advanced adapters and you can run the 203 behind the 700-r4. I know because i built a 700 to go infront of my 203

9. clstolten

clstolten 1/2 ton status

I would put the part time kit in. Check out the following article: http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/howto/47538/

Here is a quote:

"Many of you with 203s are running around without a front driveshaft and with the shifter in Hi-Loc since that’s the free method of overriding the full-time 4x4 feature. But after a while you’ll probably notice a clunk emanating from the case. Whether your rig is a Dodge, a Chevy, or a Ford, the NP203 will develop internal wear when subjected to this type of use. Minimal driving isn’t a problem, but continual driving in the Hi-Loc position without the front shaft installed causes the internal coupler on the differential to develop a lot of slop, eventually causing a banging noise and then destruction."

10. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

false

77 was first year for 10 bolt rear switchover

vans were already using them, not all though

ive told you i usd ot live in macomb for a few years right ?

i dont remember seeing very many old trucks at all there, cept rare few, college town, at least back in early 90s anywaYs

:P

good lcuk

11. 1979jimmy350

yea you told me that before. I don't see to many older truck either i have seen only one k-5 the few months i have been here. it is still a college town that is why i am here

12. driney

driney 1/2 ton status Premium Member

They might have used both. My 78 heavy half has a 12 bolt. Came that way when I bought it new.

13. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I would not wish a 203 intentionally on ANYONE. They are heavy, bulky, and a total POS. I blew up 8 of them in my K5 in a year and a half, then finally smartened up and swapped in a 205 that has been in there every since.

Oh, and my 79' had a 12 bolt rear...

14. bigdaddyhawgnuttz

Yeah Your Right I Just Double Checked And It Is A 12. Damn You Guys Are Awesome!!!

15. bigdaddyhawgnuttz

Since You Guys Are So Good How About This Simple And Typical Question From A Newbie

I Would Like A 6 Inch Lift With Springs All The Way Around. As Long As It Doesnt Require Alot Of Modifications Right Now. Too Poor! I Dont Do Any Hardcore Offroading Yet And Its My Daily Driver So I Want It To Ride Good Also And I Was Hoping That I Wouldnt Have To Sell A Kidney To Afford It Though!lol!! What Would You Guys Recommend?

16. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

A part time kit will stop that front driveshaft, differential, and axle joints from turning all the time. These are parts I don't enjoy spending my money on.