Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

question about gears.....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by smokkey1, Apr 24, 2004.

1. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

my uncle has a 80' Cj5 he just had the axles regeared to 4.56's and has 36's, 4 speed with an straight 6. he's sort of sacred of driving it on the freeway cause he says it has lower gears and you can't drive it to fast /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif. I try to tell that's it's fine to drive it on the freeway he goes like 50 mph /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif on the freeway. anyways how should I go about explaning it to him so he can understand gearing better. so lets hear form the masters.

thanks

2. ilikemud

ilikemud 1/2 ton status

tell him to grow a set... if you know what i mean...

3. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    tell him to grow a set... if you know what i mean...

[/ QUOTE ]

that's what me and my dad are thinking... it just pisses me off caues now that I got the sub going and I want to start planing some trail runs. I can already hear him b@#ching about driving the heep.

4. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

More than likely the CJ came with 4.10 gears. So 4.56's are not going to make that big of a difference. Especially with 36 inch tires. The tires cancel out the gears and then some. Have him look at the RPM's he is turning around town. If he is turning 2400 at 45 mph in 4th, assuming it is 1:1, then he should not be over 2800 at 60 mph.

I would be more worried about the short wheel base and the height than the RPM's.

5. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    More than likely the CJ came with 4.10 gears. So 4.56's are not going to make that big of a difference. Especially with 36 inch tires. The tires cancel out the gears and then some. Have him look at the RPM's he is turning around town. If he is turning 2400 at 45 mph in 4th, assuming it is 1:1, then he should not be over 2800 at 60 mph.

I would be more worried about the short wheel base and the height than the RPM's.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks... I think he metioned that he's turning 2300 or 2400rpm at 50 or so not sure... ans to the wheelbase is scary he should have stood at 33's and call it a day. he needs to get a good cage built but he's been putting it off.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    my uncle has a 80' Cj5 he just had the axles regeared to 4.56's and has 36's, 4 speed with an straight 6. he's sort of sacred of driving it on the freeway cause he says it has lower gears and you can't drive it to fast . I try to tell that's it's fine to drive it on the freeway he goes like 50 mph on the freeway. anyways how should I go about explaning it to him so he can understand gearing better. so lets hear form the masters.

[/ QUOTE ] That must be the Jeep thing we don't understand.

7. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    my uncle has a 80' Cj5 he just had the axles regeared to 4.56's and has 36's, 4 speed with an straight 6. he's sort of sacred of driving it on the freeway cause he says it has lower gears and you can't drive it to fast . I try to tell that's it's fine to drive it on the freeway he goes like 50 mph on the freeway. anyways how should I go about explaning it to him so he can understand gearing better. so lets hear form the masters.

[/ QUOTE ] That must be the Jeep thing we don't understand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif the Jeep thing either.

8. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

anybody else have any suggetions...

9. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Tow the little bugger with the sub

10. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah that's what he tells me.

11. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    You don't need to tow it, just put it in the back seat /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

12. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

theres enough room for it /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif