Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

question about getting tires balanced and front end aligned

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NEK5, Feb 22, 2006.

1. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

ok quick question..I brought my truck down to the local tire shop to get the front end aligned and all four tires balanced..when I told them what I wanted done they said I don't know if balancing them would do anything because they are offroad tires...one of the mechanics went over to the window and looked at my truck and he said he wouldn't bother doing them because they were to big..the women then said that it might be something else causing the problem but I have had mostly everything looked at already..the problem I am having is that when I am going like 50 or 60 on the highway you can feel the tires bouncing almost and the truck swerves around just a little bit....so am I right in getting them balanced and they are just trying to con me out of my money or are they telling me the truth

2. KTEX

KTEX Registered Member

it would not hurt to check the balance or see if there is a seperated cord-thats just stupid to not even try to check.

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I think I would find another place to go to. If they cant balance the 33" tires you have in your sig. They dont know what they are doing and need to get out of the tire business. I would not let them anywhere near my truck.
    Walmart balanced both sets of my 33" MT and AT tires no problem and did a great job. With lifetime free rebalance and rotation. They even swap them for me for free.

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I agree - try somewhere else. My 35" BFG's were balanced no problem.

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

If they're radials....odds are that they are at least ROUND, and balancing will help.

If they are bias-ply you'll need to make sure they are round BEFORE you try to balance them...

do a search in this forum for "Tire truing" to see info on how to fix egg shaped tires.

6. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I just got my front end aligned. Tires were balanced when I bought them (33x12.50 sidewinder MTs) and they balanced fine. My problem was finding an alignment shop that could do a manual alignment without relying on the new machines. Apparently the computerized alignment machines around here cannot see around 12.5" tires :rolleyes:

ALso with the alignment they should center your steering wheel if needed and take any slop out of the steering box.

7. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Check your shocks.....
    A worn out shock will let the tire bounce up and down at will on the highway.

8. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

ok guys. the place i brought it too called me up on my cell about half an hour after they left and told me that they didnt want to take one of the lug nuts because it was seized on the stud and that it was too wide for the alignment machine. so i brought it to town fair tire and they did it for 10 dollars more and did an awesome job everythings great...they did end up strippin on of the studs when they removed it as they other place had told me it would have

9. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i have balenced 44 before. some shops are to dam lazy. good you took it somewhere else. now you got a good deal for a few bucks more and thay were willing to help you out. :wink1: