Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question about going from 33's to 35's

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bowtied, Mar 2, 2003.

1. Bowtied

Bowtied Registered Member

Question about going from 33\'s to 35\'s

I have a question about performance when going from 33's to 35's.

I have an 87 5.7 TH350 3.08 gears and NP208.

I want to go to 35's and I would also like to go with lower gears too. I have done some searching and I think I should go with either 4.10's or 4.56's. The truck is my daily driver and I would like to NOT go much worse on the gas mileage since it's already around 11 mpg. Any off rooading for me is mud or snow, no rocks around here.

So, if I go with 4.10's, would they turn the 35's alright and still keep me close to my current mileage?

I have spent hours searching the forum and have found many answers but need your input on this one.

Thanks,
    Bowtied

2. evilandangry

evilandangry 1/2 ton status

Re: Question about going from 33\'s to 35\'s

Without overdrive I would limit myself to 4.10 gears with 35" tires. Not only will the rpm's be a little lower you should not have to change your carriers.

3. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Assuming you have the stock 10 bolts...there are no carrier break issues going from 3.08 to 4.10 or 4.56. I think most will agree with 4.10 for 35s and no overdrive and 4.56 if you do have it.

4. Bowtied

Bowtied Registered Member

Thanks for the info...sounds like 4.10's are what I need. 4.10's with the 35's would actually pull better than what I have now.

What affect do you think this setup would have on my MPG's. Is it possible that it could improve since I'd have a closer to factory final drive ratio than what I currently have?

Finally, for a truck that doesn't see dirt too often, do you think the stock 10 bolts will hold up okay with 35's.

Thanks Again,
    Bowtied

5. evilandangry

evilandangry 1/2 ton status

MPG will suffer because your launch will be so much more fun /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Aside from that MPG should not change much. IMHO the 10 bolt hairy edge is 35" tires. For the same kind of money as 2 sets of gears and install you can find a 44/14 combo (or a 60/14 if you are lucky) that will drop in. You will need new wheels but they can be had for low $$$

6. st08x

st08x Registered Member

i'm running 35s on my truck with 10 bolt front AND rear, i had 33s for a week and decided screw it and got 35s, no difference, the 35s actually seem easier to turn. i'm running 3.73, if i had money i wouldnt be.

My K-5