Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question about going over bumps or what not

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by anatomiczero, Jun 24, 2003.

1. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

Can't think of how to word the title, but here it goes. The flag got stuck half way up the pole at my work, so my manager told me to drive my truck up the sidewalk to stand on it (didn't think it would get close enough, but did it for fun)

Now the question is, while I was backing it up onto the sidewalk I had to give it somewhat a lot of gas to get the front tires up, does this hurt the transmission or anything? giving it gas until it's revved high enough to get the wheels to turn. It was like 2-3 seconds before it went up, I didn't want to give it too much gas and hurt anything in the front end.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Sometimes it's best to use a little momentum...tires about 6" away from the sidewalk, give the gas a little blip and it'll jump that curb like it wasn't there.

Rene

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

the "Moab Bump" is definatly a learned technique. I am guessing you are not locked in the front.

Before i got the doubler, i would have to use alot of gas to get over rocks. over time this creates excess heat, which will kill a auto tranny. but a 5 second bout of it is fine.

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Another tip is that with smaller "bumps" like curbs, don't approach them head-on. Hit them so that both tires aren't trying to climb over it at the same time. Actually, with curbs, the more angle you have on them, the better. The sidewall will grip on and pull you up and over with little to no effort. And, you'll only be climbing with one tire at a time. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Just be careful with what size object you're doing this on (as stated in the first sentence). Use common sense. If putting one tire on a large obstacle and gassing it is going to roll you...umm...don't do it. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

5. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

Curb climbing? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    Whats next, driving through puddles after it rains? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif