Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question About headers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by The85k5, Dec 16, 2001.

1. The85k5

The85k5 1/2 ton status

well my smog is due in march for my 85 k5 and after it passes (hopefully) i'm gonna dump all the smog and through on a set of flowtech headers i have with dual 40 series delta flows....the main question is about the fitment of the headers. Anyone had problems with flowtechs? or didnt like them? i wanna get all the 411 before i screw something else up, also how can i get the best performance and sound out of these....H pipe and turndowns maybe? just a thought.
    Robb

boy do 3:08's and 35's really SUCK

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I had Flo-Tech headers for a while. I had some problems with the collector hitting the front shackle on the passenger side. A big pry bar solved that problem, and I've heard it is a common problem on these trucks.
    One other area that I had numerous problems with was where the collector bolted to the header. I found that area was not 'flat' enough to provide a good seal and I constantly had collector leaks. Overall I wasn't especially happy with them and I recently swapped an older set of Mr Gasket headers on. I haven't had a leak anywhere with the Mr Gasket headers.

The Flo-Tech's were real good in one area...spark plug access was awesome.
    Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

3. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

I think no matter what header you think about getting, there will always be someone that has had a bad experience with them. You could spend $90 for a set of dynomax headers and have no trouble with them and someone could soend $300 for some hooker super comps and have nothing but trouble. Mistakes will always be made in manufactuing.

My 73 K5 <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/xk5blazerx/73k5.htm>http://www.geocities.com/xk5blazerx/73k5.htm</a> 350/TH350/NP203, Q-jet, Edelbrock intake, Vortec heads, 4" lift, and 36" TSL's

4. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I've got ceramic coated Super Comps on my BBC, and they are great. There are some interferrence issues with the frame rails... IE the headers make light contact with the frame if the engine is really getting knocked around...

Other than that - they are great... [​IMG] But for $480 they best be really good...

<font color=red>GOT MUD???</font color=red>
    My license plate reads:<font color=blue> 8 YR SUV</font color=blue>
    454/TH400/NP205 - 14BFF/D60/w/ 4.10s - 36" TSLs

5. The85k5

The85k5 1/2 ton status

yea i'm probebly gonna just stick with the headers i have....i got em brand new in the box for 40 bucks so i couldnt really beat that deal but i'll have to look out for then hitting the shackles....i can see how that could be a problem!
    thanx again

boy do 3:08's and 35's really SUCK

6. Lonnie

Lonnie 1/2 ton status

To help seal the headers, try putting a light coat of Permatex Ultra Copper silicone gasket sealer (do not use the generic brands, they do not last) on the gaskets (engine &amp; collector) when you install them. It will hold up to the heat &amp; virtually stops all leaks. I now do this on all header installs &amp; haven't had a leak since.
    Lonnie