Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question about hydraulic cylinder and welding on it.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cybrfire, Nov 22, 2004.

1. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Have any of you ever welded on the tube of the hydraulic cylinder itself? Need to mount this thing a little differently and nothing was available with mounting required so I'm gona have to fab something up but I've never welded on the tube to a cylinder. Any suggestions?

Tube itself is probably .25" wall I would guess but not sure.

2. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

How much welding? If it's just a small bracket I would weld about 1.5" at a time and let it cool so you don't warp the tubing. Make sure the piston is well away form the area so you don't bake the seals and make sure the ports are open so the trapped gasses can escape.

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

As far as how much welding it depends on whether or not I decide to spread the load out over a larger portion of the tube or not. Could weld the bracket directly to the tube but waS CONsidering using another tube layed over the cylinder to spread the load... Any thoughts on that???

It would appear that this cylinder is rebuildable or in other words there is a internal snap ring that I can get to on the ram end. I would guess if that snap ring was removed the whole piston and all would come out and that is how I would weld it if it works that way.

4. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    As far as how much welding it depends on whether or not I decide to spread the load out over a larger portion of the tube or not. Could weld the bracket directly to the tube but waS CONsidering using another tube layed over the cylinder to spread the load... Any thoughts on that???

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't weld to the tube at all..
    because you'll distort the inside bore...and cause premature cylinder falure.

Why do you want to apply force the the side of the cylinder??
    The force should be applied the end to end..so you don't bend the piston.
    Also..seals will last longer.

If anything...weld your bracket to the end...of the cylinder.

My rockstomper cylinder...came with a threaded bushing welded to it.

5. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

Kert,
    We have cut the mounting point off of both of the cylinders that have been in my truck and welded them back on 90deg out...(because of the model I wanted to use).

Just be sure to take the piston/rod completely out and let the cylinder cool down natually between passes. Obviously, clean the cylinder very well before re-installing the piston/rod.

As far as welding to the side of the cylinder, I can see no reason to do it, nor would I recommend it.
    If you feel you need to weld to side, maybe rethink your mounting plans.
    Good luck and have fun with it.

6. elacruze

elacruze 1/2 ton status

Remove the piston and ram. Weld only near the ends-the piston spends little time there, and doesn't sweep. That will minimize the effect of and distortion. Before you reassemble, take the packing rings off the piston and sweep it through the bore to be sure it doesn't hang up. If not, you're home free.

Eric