Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

question about inner tube for 35" spare

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by YELL78, Jan 16, 2007.

1. YELL78

YELL78 Registered Member

hey guys just had a question about using an inner tube in a 35" tire that i would like to use for a spare. Have any of you had any experiance with tubes in a tublels tire or in a tire that big if so where can i get one the only reason i need this info is i just picked up a set of 5 BFG MT's all with fairly good tread and one has a hole in the sidewall and i want to use that one for the spare what do you guys think?

2. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

how big is the hole? Ive used a tube in a tubless 36 that wouldnt hold air. only difference I could tell was that the air stayed in it. if the hole is very big you may want to put a boot in it and then a tube but if its just a small hole and your only using it as a spare then it should be ok.

3. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I have 37" tires and someone stuck an ice pick through the sidewall once. The guys at my tire shop said they normally wouldnt fix sidewall gashes but since I spent nearly $1000 there on tires and they knew it would only be a wheeling spare, they did it. They put a patch (boot) on the inside of the tire, then put a tube in it. It hasnt leaked a drop of air in 2 years....and has been driven on. They just advised not to go lower than about 18psi on the trail.
    -Harrison

4. merace19

merace19 1/2 ton status

Tubes are like poor mans beadlocks. even if the bead pops the tube will not let air out. So it pops right back on. Go to tire store and get a patch for tractor tires and use it in the spare to cover the hole. You have to grind that coating off first so it will stick. Tube dont care what its in long as its shaped like a tire it will work fine.

5. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

I'm running a tube in my right rear 35" BFG MT right now. No problems.

My tire shop found the tube for me but if yours can't, try your local farm store or JC Whitney.

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

RADIAL tube!...

If you buy a tube at the farm store,make sure you use a RADIAL tube,not some tractor tube made for a bias ply tire..--the radial tubes are thicker,a regular tube designed for a bias ply tire will fail quickly in a radial tire..you can use radial rated tubes in bias ply tires with no ill effects though..

Some big truck repair shops that fix Semi's have the capability of vulcanizing new rubber sections onto tires with sidewall damage..pretty spendy,but so is buying a new tire for 200+ bucks!..

One thing I haven't seen in years is tubeless tire "liners"..they were all the rage in the 60's and 70's,they looked like knobby tread tires that went inside a tubeless tire like a tube,but were more like very heavy duty tubes,or a light duty tire..

I had a blast with 4 of them I found in a dumpster at our local service station when I was a teen..I put them on my VW Beetle,and found I could SMOKE them right off the rims!..it'd lay rubber in first,second,and third gear,and did awesome doghnuts!...:D --I bet they would work good in off road vehicles,pretty tough to puncture them..

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

You should be able to find a tube for that size pretty easily. We use them all the time at work and I'm pretty sure I've seen boxes of them with 33x12.50 and 35x12.50 marked on them (along with about 20 other sizes, each size tube fits a wide range of tire sizes).

8. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Not really.......at least they don't work as a very good substitute for beadlocks if you want to run low pressures. They only really help debeading if you keep them aired up to standard pressures (30-ish pound range for average passenger car). We use them while performing high level dynamic tests on cars and SUVs on the pavement to help prevent debeading a tire. They definitely seem to help but don't always prevent debeading or rim contact. The biggest problem is that if a tire debeads it can pinch the tube between the tire and rim and it doesn't take much to rip a tube. The other issue is that the tire can still spin on the rim (a tube helps, but still possible) which will usually rip the valve stem.

9. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

In my 'glass buggy a tube was all I carried for a spare. That and plugs & 'boots'.

Second putting a boot over the hole.

10. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

take it to a retread shop if its big then they will put this rubber stuff in the hole and cook it to cure the rubber and then put a large patch for reinfircement. then you have a highway worthy spare.