Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question about Installing shocks upsidedown

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bigmeats, Aug 30, 2000.

1. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

If you install shocks up side down it seems to me that the weaker part of the shock is subject to greater stresses. Hope Im being clear? the normal bottom of the shock seems to be a little bigger but is that always stronger????
    Sorry just a little aprehensive to install my 9000's up side sown to make the install of the remote kit a little easier.(the air tubing)
    Any thoughts would be great!
    Bigmeats

Carl...75 Blazer...Manhattan IL

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

I dont know about the strength change upside down or not. Mine havent broken yet. I have rolled one blazer and the roof, top, and bumpers were the only things to get broken. Besides the the air lines are now a little further away from grabbing items on the trails. Please report back on how those wrok out, I am tempted to trade my buddy for a new unused set.

3. Crash90K5

Crash90K5 Registered Member

You may want to verify - I think RS9000's are supposed to be right side up, or they don't work well

[​IMG] <font color=blue>Crash90K5</font color=blue> [​IMG]

4. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Strength is not affected by which way the shock is mounted. I checked with Rancho before mounting mine upside down. Upside down is way better, gets the shock bodies away from the metal munching rocks. Also makes the remote install much easier. If you install them upside down, the only side affect is that for the first rebound the shock will be softer than set, after the first, the air is pushed back to the top and there are no problems. That is straight from Rancho, mine have been upside down for 2 years and 0 problems.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com

5. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

Reverse mounting shocks is fine usually but there are some shocks that don't take to it well. Besides protecting the shock body from rocks, it lowers the unsprung weight of the suspension which makes it more responsive. This is kind of negligible on our heavy live axles but it works for lightweight independent suspensions... dune buggies, race cars, etc. Anyway, sort of strayed from the original question, yeah it works fine with the Rancho's (What Depdog said).

Joe
    Rochester Institute of Technology Team Mini-Baja
    88 Jimmy