Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question About Investing

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by petryshyn, May 3, 2006.

1. petryshyn

petryshyn 1/2 ton status

Hey I am wondering about investing, more specifically about investing in the Canadian or Us venture markets. Now the question comes on how I go about picking companies, I got a Online account through RBC, and all the other aspects are worked out and some money to play with that I am not to worried about loosing, but the problem is how do I find companies that would do well, or just do I go browsing through the market and hit up ones that seem good via growing aspects of the economy (Oil in Alberta comes to mind)

So I guess the question is how do you pick the companies you want to hold shares in, especially in the Venture Exhange??

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Being an amateur venture capitalist isn't a whole lot different than gambling. ;) It's important to spread your money around so you don't risk losing everything on a single company. Even small oil companies can have bad management that can bankrupt them. (For that matter, so can large ones! A few years ago, who would have throught that Enron would evaporate?)

A good place to start learning about researching companies is over at www.motleyfool.com

3. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

I'm a pretty seasoned investor. Played the real estate market in SD and made a ton of cash. Now that it's flat I am looking for something else. I've got a buddy who trades stocks and his bro is a bigwig at Merril Lynch. All I've heard from the two of them is energy, energy, and energy. So, I got my feet wet with mutual funds that invest only in energy. FSENX and FSESX, both Fidelity funds. Doing well. I'm up 2K on a 24K investment in 48 days. Anyways, aside from being a market analyst, which I'm not, there are some obvious things going in the world. 1. Iraq 2. Iran 3. Venezuela. These three countries are huge in the oil supply world of the US. There are problems with these 3 countries and guess what happens when a barrel of oil goes up? Exxon Mobile make a mint off of us suckers driving SUV's, making their stock prices go up. I no longer bitch about the price of gas because I am paying for it and then some with my mutual fund proceeds. Natural gas has gone up because it's now a viable solution. I'm hearing that in TX, the gas companies are buying mineral rights from normal people that have land with capped off gas wells. See back when, they drilled for oil, found gas and capped it off because it wasn't economically feasible to mine the gas. Now it is. Bet on energy for the foreseeable future.

4. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I like investors.com

They have an electronic subscription with daily newspaper that is awesome!

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Take a very serious look at gold. Not buying it. Investing in gold mining company stocks. I have been doing very well with gold stocks buy low and sell when high
    PDG (Placer Dome Gold) has been good to me. Bought in a year ago at 12.00/share. on march 6 this year Barrick gold (ABX) bought PDG placer Dome Gold. Shares are $31 now. Of course i have taken profits:D. Will hapily pay capital gains.

I am also looking at small cap gold companies. if they have good depostis the bigger ones are buying them up.
    The dollar is going down in value that usually pushes gold prices up. Gold companies are lean and mean now after going thru the hard times of the late 90s. they have learned how to extract more gold with less labor. Their profit margins are fantastic. S&P sez gold will top out over 700 a oz by the end of the year.
    Energy is good too.......
    I bought into a little Oil company last fall. Its symbol is CWPC on the OTCBB Check It out. I recomended it in another investment post here on CK5 to people just after I bought into it.. I doubt if anyone took me up on it and bought any.
    Too bad.. I have more than doubled my money since last november.

My favorite place is for stock info is ragingbull.com great message boards just dont believe everything you read there.... BTW CWPC is one of their most active boards.

6. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Off topic but I would personaly not sell mineral rights to land that you own and use, unless you are selling the land itself too. If you do, you are basically setting yourself up to have your land pilaged and uglied up and not get a damn thing out of it. I know this for a fact because my uncle is dealing with it right now. He owns some land that the King Ranch (i.e. a LARGE corporation) has the mineral rights too and they have basically ****ed his cattle ranching up every way they could. If you own the mineral rights though, dont sell them, keep em and make buku skrilla off of royalties.

Back to your regularly scheduled programing. I am also looking for something new to invest in. I dont have much money, and I aready have a mutual fund that is turning out about 6% interest but this time around I am looking for something a little more lucrative, like stocks. I have a few companies in mind, just ones that I personally know of and are doing fairly well but I still have a bit more saving up to do before I jump into something like this.