Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question about kick down on Turbo 350

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Eric M., Sep 1, 2004.

1. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

I have a 74 K2500 with a 350 and Turbo 350 trans. The guy I bought it from swapped carbs and there really isn't a way to hook up the kick down cable. This is just a beater daily driver and I don't care too much about it actually "kicking down", but, if the cable isn't hooked up can it cause any damage to the trans?

Thank,

Eric M.

2. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It will not hurt anything, but it is going to be a frustrating experience driving that truck without a detent cable. Go to a junkyard and see if you can find the proper throttle bracket for it that has the detent cable connection on it.

3. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Go to a junkyard and see if you can find the proper throttle bracket for it that has the detent cable connection on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got the stock bracket, it's the after market carb. the guy put on that won't work with the cable. If it doesn't hurt the trans., it's not an issue. I'll eventually be parting this truck out so I don't want to spent too much time or $$ on it, I just don't want to burn up the trans. which was rebuilt 10K miles ago.

Thanks,

Eric M.

4. trailblazer86

trailblazer86 1/2 ton status

What kind of carb is it?
    You can purchace an adapter for both Edelbrock and Holley carbs.

5. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What kind of carb is it?
    You can purchace an adapter for both Edelbrock and Holley carbs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't even think about that. It's an Edelbrock. I'll take a look at the Summit site and see what they have. That sounds like a cheap and easy fix.

Thanks,

Eric M.

6. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Whenever I replaced my q jet with the Edelcrap I hooked my kick down cable around where the throttle cable hooks up too. Just got a longer bolt, used some nuts and washers to space them apart and BAM your kickdown cable is back in operation.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Since nobody has mentioned it, I will.

TH 350's upshifting is controlled by the vacuum modulator and it won't hurt anything to not hook up the detent/kickdown cable.

8. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Whenever I replaced my q jet with the Edelcrap I hooked my kick down cable around where the throttle cable hooks up too. Just got a longer bolt, used some nuts and washers to space them apart and BAM your kickdown cable is back in operation.

[/ QUOTE ]

This guy has done some funky stuff. It's going to take more than that to get this set up to work! I ordered up a bracket set from Summit today. $31 with shipping. It looks like what I need. I'll post up when it arrives.

Eric M.