Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

question about lift and tires

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sammy8811, Oct 3, 2006.

1. sammy8811

sammy8811 Registered Member

I have a 1990 blazer and want to put a 6 in. suspension lift with 35s on it...will i need to extend the driveshafts?...and also will the stock 10 bolts do the job?.....thanks

2. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Welcome to the board. Yes, yes and yes.

3. TC4x4

TC4x4 1/2 ton status

You will need to extend the rear if it doesn't have a slip yoke in it. If it does and it slides then or not it will pull out some and youll want to see that it has enought teeth where it does into the t case that it has a few inches of grip to it in there

4. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I really cant understand this very well.

Heres my opinion. With 6" of lift your probably gonna need to lengthen the shafts. Since you have a 1990K5 you have a slip yolk rear shaft. These dont really like lifts. You will need to either lower your t-case, have a cv joint installed, or both. I had to do both on mine.

As far as the 10 bolts go...i dont trust them in the rear with 35's. The front is ok because they are at least ff units. The rears use a c-clip design which means if you break an axle shaft, then your tire falls off. Ive seen a rear 10 bolt with badly worn 35's not even wheeling just flexing out, break a rear shaft and have his tire fall off as he was driving down the road doing 45 mph a minute later. Not good.
    -Harrison