Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

question about making D60 steering arms

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MaxCrack, May 24, 2001.

1. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

I have a piece of steel 12" x 12" x 1". I was thinking of trying to make a steering arm for a dana 60 crossover steering and save myself a $150. And if it works well, I think I have enough material for two more. Does anyone have some really good pictures of one? Preferably next to a ruler, and from a couple different angles.

Thanks

That's because I'm the devil.

2. misfit

misfit 1/2 ton status

man, sounds like you shouldnt be attempting to make one if you dont know where to start. i made one for my d44 but i did it on a milling machine.

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

BTW, is'nt the metal used for those steering components made of some stronger type of steel? You can't just use regular mild steel that is readily available at most welding shops. My guess this part would need to be a high-tensile steel part.

When In Doubt, Whip It Out!

4. RUSS84K5

RUSS84K5 1/2 ton status

Hi,
    I'v been thinking the same thing. Offroad.com chevy section x-over has some good pix. next to a ruler even. The metal isn't any thing fancy. I have two on the 10 bolt x-over, tie-rod over set up. they dent pretty easy. I also had to grind some clearence for the ball joint top lip. It didn't take long to do, thats to say it didn't "feel" like harder stuff dose when you grind it.
    Hope this helps
    Russ V

5. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

Hey, thanks a lot. Those are some good pictures.

6. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I'll check with the guy I got it from. I'm pretty sure it's good quality because he knew what I wanted it for, but I wouldn't want it to bend or worse on me while I'm driving.

7. AZK5

AZK5 1/2 ton status

I made my own Dana 60 steering arm with cap and I could make anyone else one at a very reasonable price. Just email me if your interested. I work in a machine shop and cut metal every day. The steering arms you buy from these companies are just regular steel. I've also made Dana 44 arms and milled the knuckle flat for a friend of mine with a YJ. I'll try to get pictures of them up on the web page.
    charles.h.babcock@intel.com

1973 K5, 400TPI,TH350, 203/205, Dana60/Detroit/5.38 front and rear, 38" TSL's on steel wheels
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.azk5.coloradok5.com>http://www.azk5.coloradok5.com</A>