Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Question about marine speakers ?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by SlyDog, Aug 22, 2001.

1. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Hey, I will be lookin at a stereo in awhile for the K5 and I will not have the top on and will be doin water crossing so I want to know will marine speakers work good (waterproof?) and do they still sound good ? Thanks !

1977 K5 Blazer [​IMG]

2. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Its not really necessary. If you get good quality speakers with maybe a polypropelyne cone and rubber surround, no paper parts, then it should hold up real good to water. I used to have a set of Boston Acoustics 5.25's in a Jeep for a long time. They got blasted all the time with heavy rain, mud, chewing tobacco and they always sounded great...they weren't even the real expensive Pro series ones...just paid something like $75 for the pair.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

3. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

So even if you hit them with a hose (id try to avoid them [​IMG] ) they would/should be ok ?

1977 K5 Blazer [​IMG]

4. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Marine speakers typically sound pretty tinny - Blaupunkt's graphite injected cones are pretty much waterproof, and still sound great - as with other brands that use poly cones.

Dos mas Tecates!!!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

5. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

As long as you don't pressure blast the speakers, a hosing off should be fine. Let me give you an example.
    My speakers were right in the dash of my CJ-7. It had wide 36's on it. In the summer I ran with a CJ-5 bikini top and no doors, nothing else. When I had to drive it when it was raining, the tires stuck out so far past the body that they would spray water everywhere...including right on those speakers. Did that crap all the time and the speakers never changed in the way they sounded.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

6. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Ok thanks guys ! Appreciate it

1977 K5 Blazer [​IMG]